Run-on season, but keep watching

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 21:02

The latest and final season of “How I Met Your Mother” is a difficult one to evaluate. For the most part, the season has dragged on the mostly-nonsensical events of the weekend of Barney and Robin’s wedding. On the other hand, it is usually still very funny and makes for entertaining television. There are very high moments, but also very low moments.

There was a recent episode where, after Marshall finally arrives at the inn, he tells Barney that he is going to use one of his remaining two slaps to slap him harder than ever before. He tells an obvious fictitious and frankly stupid story of how he traveled throughout Asia to learn the techniques required for the most powerful slap ever from martial arts masters. This is really the entire episode. It was unfunny and rather offensive. For the first time ever, the show became difficult to watch.

However, after that painful episode the show’s quality went straight uphill. It was followed by an episode where the show’s writers do what they do best, which is combining humor with drama. One episode showed Marshall and Lily fighting in an intense moment that ended the episode on a cliffhanger with Lily leaving. Meanwhile, Barney was so drunk he could not tell a lie, which led Ted and Robin to take advantage of him. The next episode showed the story of the entire show’s timeline from the anonymously named mother’s point of view. We see the overlaps between her life in New York City and Ted’s. It filled in many of the holes throughout the years, and it really showed us who her character was and what she went through on the way to meet Ted in a funny yet emotional episode.

While it has dragged on all season, the show has finally begun to approach its finale, and we are starting to see a big payoff. The plot is more interesting and moving along, while the show continues to be funny. While it is hard to forget that absurd episode of Marshall slapping Barney, everything that followed was funny enough to make up for it and keep me watching.

My one other complaint is that, in the show’s most recent episode, it featured what is perhaps one of the corniest moments I have ever seen on television: After telling Robin the truth about his feelings for her and realizing that he must finally let her go, Ted looks at Robin and sees her fly off into the sky while we listen to an emotional song in the background. Up until that point, the episode was really good, but I suddenly found myself outraged by this cheesy moment. It featured poor special effects, and it wasn’t necessary. I felt like I was watching a bad 80s music video on “Beavis and Butthead.”

Putting bad moments aside, the show continues to be one of the funniest sitcoms on television. While this season has dragged on unnecessarily, and perhaps should not have all been written around the wedding, it is beginning to pay off — and I will be sad to see it go soon. Fans should keep watching despite some of the absurdity we have recently seen.