Russian National Ballet Theatre

Elegant performance of ‘Sleeping Beauty’ artfully portrayed

Published: Friday, March 29, 2013

Russian National Ballet Theatre

Jess Condon

The Russian National Ballet Theatre came to Jorgensen with 50 dancers clothed in elaborate and colorful costumes.

Last night, Jorgensen invited Russian National Ballet Theatre to perform their unique rendition of ‘Sleeping Beauty’. Consisting of 50 colorfully costumed dancers, the three-act Russian ballet is directed by Elena Radchenko, choreographed by Marius Petipa and complemented with the romantic music written by the prestigious Russian musician, Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky.

The show had a successful turnout; it was a diverse crowd, ranging from children to older adults. Christine Hannon, from East Hartford, traveled to UConn for the show because, “Sleeping Beauty has been one of my favorite Disney movies and I would like to see how the ballet is portrayed as well”.

“I’ve been trying to get cultured and I would like to see another great performance hosted by Jorgensen,” said Noel Cielo, a sixth-semester chemical engineering major.

With almost a full house in the theatre, the show was delayed 10 minutes to accommodate the last minute rush ins. The opening scene paralleled to the start of “The Sleeping Beauty,” setting in a palace, the Queen and the King, along with other royal families, celebrated the birth of their beloved daughter. The set up gave an impression of a play instead of a ballet because the dancers were adorned in the traditional royal dresses and they focused more on ballroom dance. However, as the ballet proceeded, more ballerinas costumed in different colors of tutus appeared and hints of the traditional ballet resurfaced. Though done without words, the ballet had its own unique way of telling the story of Sleeping Beauty collectively through the expressive body language of the dancers, the vivid stage lights, and the lively music.

“The show is wonderfully done, it is elegant, poise and has beautiful music,” said Yvonne Nanakos, a tenth-semester biomedical engineering major. Despite the lack of dialogues, she thought “less is more, and the theatre group has done a good job using simple components to put together a complex, sophisticated story.”

Unlike the traditional “Sleeping Beauty,” the Russian ballet theatre had its own interpretation along with some unique, humorous characterization. Christina Hannon also thought the villains were portrayed as “funny looking people with socks worn on their arms.” There were a couple people costumed in animal hats; without expectation, the ballet also featured the interactive dance act between Little Red Riding Hood and the wolf. Despite some surprising combinations, the audience was very impressed with the ballet. People constantly clapped at the end of every dance act. Mikhail Rudinskiy, a sixth-semester biomedical engineering major, thought the show was “amazing, graceful and artistic.”

In the end, the amazing, expressive ballet earned a standing ovation from the audience.