Sochi provides entertaining television daily

Focus Editor

Published: Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 9, 2014 21:02

For many of us, sports enthusiasts and frowners alike, the next two weeks will be spent with our eyes glued to the T.V. screen watching sports. The Olympics offer a very different type of sports watching experience though, because while nearly no one follows the competitive luge circuit on a regular basis, it suddenly becomes one of the most interesting sports you’ve ever seen. It’s also pretty easy for most of us to pick a favorite to watch, even if it’s your first time watching a competition in the sport. Just look for the athlete with “U.S.A.” on their uniform.

There are 15 different sport disciplines represented at the Sochi games and all are played on snow or ice. These 22nd Winter Games have ushered in a few new events that have never been recognized at the Olympics before. One of the most exciting to watch will be the women’s Ski Jump. American athlete Lindsay Vonn was instrumental in petitioning for the sport to be added to the Sochi schedule, and will be competing in the event herself. Prime time replay of the event will be shown on Feb. 11th at 8 p.m.

Among the 11 other new events added in Sochi are the snowboard parallel slalom, where two snowboarders race down identical courses and the first one to the bottom wins. There will also be skiing and snowboarding slopestyle events for men and women, a team figure skating competition and a luge team relay.

In the men’s halfpipe, American icon Shaun White will be competing for his third gold medal. White is so focused on bringing home gold in this event that he pulled out of the slopestyle competition a couple of days ago to be more prepared for his main event. White’s biggest competition in the half pipe is likely to be a 15 year-old from Japan, Ayumu Hirano.

Lolo Jones and Lauryn Williams are other names that might sound familiar to you, but from different Olympics. The two women are Olympic track runners and have participated in previous Summer Games. They have come to Sochi, however, as part of the women’s bobsled team. Women’s heats one (featuring Williams) and two will race on Feb. 18th, and heats three (featuring Jones) and four, will race on Feb. 19th.

Of course the last event of the Olympics that you won’t want to miss out on are the closing ceremonies. The ceremony will take place at the same venue the opening ceremonies did, Fisht Olympic Stadium. The stadium was built exclusively for the opening and closing ceremonies and holds over 40,000 people. The official end to the Winter Games is set for Feb. 23.

If you’re ever frustrated that there’s nothing good on T.V., check out what sports are competing in Sochi. Despite the drastic time difference between the East Coast and Sochi, many events can be streamed live on your computer, and coverage is widespread on NBC in the afternoon, primetime and evening hours.