Sounds of passion fill Jorgensen

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sounds of passion fill Jorgensen

Kevin Scheller/Daily Campus

Classical guitarist Miloš Karadaglić filled the Jorgensen Theater with sounds of passion and intense tunes this past Saturday using simply his guitar. 

Originally from Montenegro, Karadaglić began playing the classical guitar at age eight. He almost gave it up because as a kid he wanted to be a rock star instead. However, after listening to a song his father played him, he fell in love with the classical guitar. Karadaglić attended a very prestigious music school. He is well known throughout Europe and is slowly gaining popularity in the U.S.

Karadaglić plucked away so easily at the guitar, as if it was second nature to him. At some points during his performance he would close his eyes and seem to let the music carry him away as he continued to play passionately. The sounds of the guitar echoed in the theater as he at first slowly played a soft romantic melody but then became very intense as the tempo picked up and slowed down for a dramatic ending. 

Even while tuning his guitar on stage it sounded as if he were playing a melody. However, he would immediately jump into a song and the audience once again became dead silent as he plucked away. Karadaglić played various songs such as Bach’s “Prelude and Fugue,” Jorge Cardoso’s “Milonga,” and many other composers from South America and Italy. 

During the show he gave a brief description on each piece he played and where they originated from and why he wanted to play the piece. Before each song he played he took a deep breath in and then began to pluck away but did not strum because it’s classical guitar. 

Many of pieces where complicated numbers, including one piece that Karadaglić said it was originally meant to be played on the cello which could be heard as he played on the guitar especially with the deep sounds of the bass. However, Karadaglić clarified that the piece was meant to challenge the guitar and its player. 

During the applause for intermission Karadaglić kissed the guitar and continued to cradle it carefully as he bowed to the audience. The second half of the show the majority of the pieces were based on the Spanish guitar. He said that he was influenced by South America and it inspired his second album “Pasion.” 

The audience became dead silent as he played his second half of the show and became entranced as he struck away at the guitar. While playing, Karadaglić would smile as he played especially on parts that became intense and louder than the softer music he was originally playing. The audience held their applause to the very end in which Karadaglić gave what was supposed to be his final bow but because of audience demand he came back on stage and gave an encore performance of a song called “Lagrimas.” 

“The performance was beautiful,” said Jackie Hausman of Plainville. “I’m glad that I came it was well worth the trip.” 

Cari Eckert of Vernon held onto a CD of Miloš Karadaglić and said, “It was a fabulous show he is a very sensitive guitar player.” She further said she liked the South American influences of his music and the many other styles of his pieces.