‘Sounds of the world’ coming to Jorgensen tonight

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2013

On Wednesday night, The Idan Raichel Project is coming to the Jorgensen Theater, bringing with them sounds from around the world.

The musical group was formed in 2003 by Idan Raichel and began in Israel. He invited musicians from a variety of different ethnic groups, languages and generations to collaborate with him. The blending of these eclectic influences has created a sound unique to the Idan Raichel Project, which has captured the world’s attention. 

He has sold over half a million records and has won awards like “Musical Group of the Decade” and “Best Song of the Decade” in Israel in 2010. Since then he has played shows crossing the globe, from Los Angeles to Hong Kong, India to South Africa. 

“Traveling Home,” an album that includes lyrics in Hebrew, Arabic, Swahili, Amharic, Spanish and others, was released in 2011. The artists on the album are as diverse as the languages and came from countries as far as Colombia and Mali to work on the album. “Traveling Home” enjoyed double platinum level sales in Israel. 

Raichel has recently been working with Grammy Award winner India.Arie on a combined record called “Open Door.” The pair has a history of friendship beginning in 2008 and has written and performed songs together such as “Gift of Acceptance,” which was sung at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in 2010. 

Raichel’s message is genuine acceptance and embracement of diversity. From his personal appearance to the languages on his album, he’s not afraid to be different from a typical Israeli artist. He seeks to understand cultures that have typically not been accepted in Israel and to get to the root causes of social discrimination in Israel.

He will bring with him sense of universality and mutual acceptance at what has been described as a spectacular live show. Tickets are $10 for UConn students or $20 for the general public. The show will begin at 8 p.m