Spock versus the ‘Big Bang’

Published: Monday, April 2, 2012

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, (or simply don’t watch CBS) you should know that the legendary “Star Trek” actor Leonard Nimoy guest-starred on this past week’s episode of the “Big Bang Theory.” However, since the Spock actor recently announced his retirement from acting, he appears in a voice-only role. This guest appearance had been so anticipated that it quickly became the focus of a cute but ultimately unnecessary episode.

This episode has two parallel stories going on. The first, Sheldon’s misadventures with a special “Star Trek” toy that Penny got for both him and Leonard as a gift. The second involves a discouraged Raj attempting to find a wife in a girl his parents set him up with.

As a thank you to the guys for always eating their food, Penny buys both Leonard and Sheldon an identical Star Trek toy. As collector’s, they don’t open them up but in a dream, Sheldon’s Spock action figure (voiced my Leonard Nimoy) tells him to. Excited, Sheldon opens it up only for him to have it break almost instantly. Believing that Leonard will never open his, Sheldon swaps boxes and takes Leonard’s still intact toy. However, Sheldon’s conscience subjects him to a dream where on a recreation of a “Star Trek” set (complete with bad costumed alien) the action figure Spock beckons him to do the right thing.

Meanwhile, a lonely Raj asks his parents to set him up on a date with a woman. Things go well until the girl reveals that she is actually a lesbian and is looking to marry a man to hide it (she assumes Raj is gay). Making things even more awkward is the fact that Raj actually considers this proposal but by the end of the episode, this goes nowhere.

Each of the two storylines has nothing to do with each other and are ultimately forgettable. While there are some choice jokes to be found throughout the episode (Penny on going to the comic store alone: “Yeah, when I went in two separate guys had asthma attacks”), the episode can basically be summarized as such: jokes about questioning Raj’s heterosexuality and jokes involving a Nimoy-voiced “Spock” action figure acting as Sheldon’s conscience, featuring useless appearances by all other main cast members. The dialogue between Sheldon and the Spock action figure will undoubtedly go down as some of the series absolute best, as it is absolutely hilarious.

While the episode is sure to provide a few good laughs and will forever be loved by fans of “Star Trek,” its ultimately forgettable narrative make this one of the series less memorable episodes. Nonetheless, hearing Nimoy on the show interacting with Jim Parson’s excellent acting as Sheldon make this episode far from a struggle to watch and easy to enjoy. Here’s hoping they can get Shatner on it next.