Spring break dos and don’ts

Published: Friday, March 5, 2010

Well Huskies, it's that time of year again; you just got over a cold, your midterms are over, work sucks and you can't take one more flake of snow…it's time for spring break! So before you pack up your suitcase and make your way to the airport, try to remember these spring break dos and don'ts.

DO drink plenty of water…bottled, not local. You will be in the sun, doing a lot of activities outdoors, and let's face it; you will probably be doing it all drunk or hung over. Your body needs water to recharge so make sure to drink plenty of fluids.

DO budget your cash. Don't go to the first souvenir shop you see and blow $200 on a giant crocodile head because it's not going to fit in your suitcase. The same goes for buying something super-extravagant. If you spend all your cash in one day, you will have nothing left for the rest of the trip.

DO try new things and meet new people. You're on vacation, so try parasailing or scuba diving, go to a funky bar, talk to that girl or guy on the beach and try that cow liver appetizer if it looks good.

DO plan things you want to do and make sure you do them! Seriously, when are you going to the Bahamas or the Dominican  Republic again? If you want to go sight seeing or check out something specific, grab a friend and take a lot of pictures.

DO plan for all types of weather when packing clothes. It may seem stupid, but it can get really cold at night and you don't want to be stuck in an air-conditioned place when your toes are cold or when you have the chills from sun poisoning.

DO stock up on magazines, Sudoku puzzles, or a good book. Traveling can be very boring and the beach can get dull. Grab some things to keep yourself entertained so you will never be bored.
DON'T forget sunscreen. You don't want to transform into a lobster on the first day and be in pain the rest of the trip, your skin and your Facebook photos will thank me later.

DON'T go anywhere by yourself. Leaving with a bunch of creepy guys you don't know may seem like a good idea when you're drunk, but 10 times out of 10, its not. Use your head.

DON'T take your clothes off. If you feel the need to get nude, don't do it with a group of people cheering you on in front of a bunch of cell phones or cameras … think of what grandma would say!
DON'T do anything dangerous while intoxicated. Leave the driving to the taxis, the cooking to McDonalds and the swimming to the dolphins.

DON'T lose important things like your wallet, ID or credit card. You need them for travel and getting into clubs (among other things). If you can't keep track of your stuff, give it to someone who can handle the responsibility. The same goes for your camera and cell phone. You want to keep your vacation pictures and be able to call your friends when you are lost, so keep them safe.
DON'T constantly update your Facebook status while on vacation. No one cares that you got seawater up your nose while you were swimming. You should enjoy your vacation instead of updating the world on how it's going.

Finally, DON'T do anything stupid. This includes: falling asleep in a hot tub, cheating on your significant other, dropping your cell phone in the toilet (keep it out of those back pockets, ladies), forgetting your cell phone charger and, of course, getting arrested.

On a final note, DO have fun, DO stay safe and DO have an unforgettable trip (but then again, that is what pictures are for).