Stay Tuned: Shows to catch up on this summer

Published: Monday, April 16, 2012

Even though summer is still a few short weeks away, here are some TV shows that you may enjoy (if you find yourself bored over the lengthy four months off from school).

“Dawson’s Creek” is an oldie, but it is worth watching – especially if you are looking for a highly addictive show. The teen drama focuses on the lives of four teenagers in the fictional town of Capeside, Mass. As Dawson, Joey, Pacey and Jen learn that life can be filled with pleasant (and some not so pleasant) twists and turns, these four teens discover that friendship is the one thing that you can count on.

“One Tree Hill” sadly concluded on April 4, but you can still catch reruns of the show or find it at your local DVD store. For over nine seasons, “One Tree Hill” has captured the hearts of many through the relationships among individuals at Tree Hills Ravens High School. High school has never been more fun (or filled with lots of drama) than in “One Tree Hill.”

If sappy dramas are not your style and would rather prefer some action packed shows, then “True Blood” might be for you. This show is not your typical “Twilight,” sparkly vampire kind of thing. Amidst vampire frenzy in the media, HBO brought us a series about vampires that is actually worth watching. The show is based on novels by Charlene Harris and portrays the co-existence of vampires, humans and other species in the small town of Bon Temps, La.

Speaking of vampires, my sister is obsessed with the show “The Vampire Diaries.” I thought that this series would be another “Twilight,” but after watching a few episodes I have to admit that I was wrong. Yes, the show still has some drama and romance, but the chemistry between the characters and the occasional action makes the show interesting (and addicting). Of course watching the pretty faces of Paul Wesley (Stefan) and Damon Salvatore (Ian) is also not a bad reason to watch the show.

My friend has been obsessed with the show “Breaking Bad,” and I had no idea why until I started watching it. The series follows the live of Walter White, a high school chemistry teacher who has just been diagnosed with an advanced form of lung cancer. In a hurry to secure finances for his family in the event of his death, White works with his student, Jesse Pinkman, to profit from the meth-selling industry.

I love mystery shows such as “Law and Order,” and because of the success of these series, I am assuming that there are many people out there who also like these shows. “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit” is perhaps my favorite of all of the “Law and Order” shows. This particular series is centered on sexually based crimes and the response of the NYPD. “Law and Order: SVU” is currently in its 13th season, and this show seems like it is going to be on television for a long time.

As you soak up some sun this summer, and if you happen to get bored, be sure to catch up on shows that you missed during the school year.