Students relax at Hillel’s Beit Cafe

Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013

hillel

During last night’s Beit Cafe held at UConn Hillel, the Conn Men, one of UConn’s many a cappella gro

Zarrin Ahmed/The Daily Campus

UConn Hillel hosted a number of singing and poetry performances during their Beit Café on Tuesday night amidst a relaxing ambience and plenty of coffee and tea.

Members of Hillel popped fresh popcorn, gave away thermoses, kept plenty of coffee and tea available and passed out homemade brownies. With tables and chairs set up about the multipurpose room to resemble a teashop, candles providing the only lighting for most of the show, all set off a true café atmosphere. Students stayed for hours on the school night to enjoy performances put on by numerous a cappella groups, individual music projects and three Poetic Release poets, all the while chatting amongst themselves. 

As students kept filling in seats, The Chordials kicked the night off. An all female a capella group, they first sang Grace Potter and the Nocturnals’ song “Paris,” followed by Fun.’s “The Gambler.” They finished their set with a duet, set to “Hell On Heels” by Pistol Annies. Phil Holzager then performed on the piano.

The Rolling Tones opened their act with Smash Mouth’s “I’m A Believer” and Sarah Bareilles’ “Uncharted.” Their last song was one by Justin Timberlake, before an independent project called “Kevin and Mike” took the stage. While one played the guitar and sang back up, the other took lead vocals in songs like John Mayer’s “Daughters” and Maroon 5’s “Sunday Morning.”

Notes Over Storrs interacted with the crowd, as a singer serenaded female students in the crowd, taking their hands and telling them to come with him “on a magic carpet ride.” Stu, Raccuia and Levine, also called “Dirty Mike and the Boys,” consisted of two guitarists and a pianist. They maintained a country style with their upbeat tempo and raspy singing. 

Before letting the show continue, Vice President of Hillel Lauren Simon made an important announcement about a fundraiser she held close to her heart. Having grown up close to Newtown, she and her Jewish community were greatly affected by the shooting, especially the death of Noah Pozner. The mother of Noah requested to plant trees in Noah’s name; her goal is to plant one thousand trees in Israel to create Noah’s Forest. 

Poetic Release’s Emmanual Oppong delivered a powerful performance of a poem that revolved around having a blank slate and growing from it. After him were the Conn Men, who had the crowd snapping along to their songs from the get go, performing the Beatles’ “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” Van Morrison’s “Moondance” and Martin Sexton’s “Can’t Stop Thinking About You.” The next a capella group, Completely Different Note, incorporated dance routines in their songs that had the crowd laughing. 

With performances continuing well into the night, the events  ended with performances by poets Devin Samuels and Colby McAdams and a cappella groups A-Minor, Extreme Measures and Rubyfruit.