SU Theatre movie previews

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

For students who spent the Fall semester catching up on work for midterms and finals or were skeptical of paying typical prices at the local movie theatres, SUBOG’s weekly Movie Night at the Student Union Theatre will catch you up to speed on the year’s blockbusters before they hit DVD and Blu-ray racks. The weekly Movie Night showcases an array of different genres to whet everyone’s appetite; you’ve got the mass explosions and gun-slinging villains for action junkies, epic adventures filled with characters’ names that are as embarrassing to pronounce as they are iconic, romantic comedies for “date night,” and other high-profile films from a great year of movies. For only a measly $2 with your student I.D. or $4 for a friend from out of town, the First Run Selections play at 8 p.m. on Thursdays, 8 and 11 P.M. on Saturdays, and the last showing is 7 p.m. on Sunday. The free Friday Night Flicks also show great films that play as companion pieces to the newer First Run Selection films. Here’s a preview of the films playing during the spring semester.

Jan. 31 – Feb. 3
First Run Selection: “Argo,” directed and starring Ben Affleck, tells the story of real life CIA operative Tony Mendez and his plan and the formation of a fake Hollywood film as a cover up to rescue U.S. diplomats from the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis.

Friday Night Flick: “Gone Baby Gone,” released in 2007, is a social drama that plays like a thriller, which marks Affleck’s debut behind the camera. The film takes place in the heart of Boston and stars Affleck’s brother Casey who plays a detective who along side his wife unravels a mystery, which asks the viewer is there always a black-and-white solution to crime?
Feb. 7 – Feb. 10
First Run Selection: “The Man with the Iron Fists,” gives the kung fu genre a hip-hop spin. The iconic RZA from Wu Tang Clan directs and Eli Roth produces a dark pulpy take on a classic genre thanks to unadulterated violence and a stellar hip-hop infused soundtrack.

Friday Night Flick: “Kill Bill Vol. 1,” finds the Quentin Tarantino adding a face lift to the stereotypical revenge tales of the past.

Feb. 14 – Feb. 17
First Run Selection: “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn- Part 2,” the conclusion to the teenage literature phenomenon.

Friday Night Flick: “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn- Part 1,” get ready for the final Twilight film by reliving the first part of Breaking Dawn.

Feb. 21 – Feb. 24
First Run Selection: One of this year’s front-runners for the academy award for best-animated film, “Wreck-It Ralph,” find’s Disney placing characters in the world of video games, with voice acting by John C. Riley as Ralph and Sarah Silverman as his side kick.

Friday Night Flick: “ParaNorman,” is an animated film that rehashes the “Sixth Sense” theme of “I see dead people” but adds rich humor to a tale of being a little different at a young age.

Feb. 28 – Mar. 3:
First Run Selection: “Killing Them Softly” stars Brad Pitt as a hit man paid to take out an illegal poker proprietor in a political Noir that takes place during the American financial crisis of 2008.

Friday Night Flick: David Fincher’s idiosyncratic take on the Chuck Palahniuk’s cult classic novel “Fight Club,” takes Pitt and Edward Norton through a mind boggling tale of underworld fighting.

Mar. 7 – Mar. 10
First Run Selection: First Run Selection: “Skyfall,” is Daniel Craigs third and latest installment in the classic James Bond saga. Directed by Sam Mendes of American Beauty and Jarhead fame, gives an old dog new tricks.

Friday Night Flick: Friday Night Flick: “Casion Royale,” the first of the new generation of Craig’s James Bond surprised critics by being darker and bolder than expected.

Mar. 28 – Mar. 31
First Run Selection: Peter Jackson returns for a prequel of Lord of the Rings and the first of a set trilogy to direct “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.”

Friday Night Flick: “Lord of the Rings: A Fellowship of the Ring,” is the first in the LOTR trilogy, and gave rise to a visionary director at top form.

Apr. 4 – Apr. 7
First Run Selection: “Jack Reacher,” the titular character of Lee Child’s crime novels, comes to life through Tom Cruise, and is an action packed mystery, which has grossed almost 175 million dollars in box office revenue.

Friday Night Flick: Martin Scorsese’s “The Departed,” is a bleak thriller, and winner of the 79th Academy Award for best picture.

Apr. 11 – Apr. 14
First Run Selection: Seth Rogen and Barbra Streisand star in “The Guilt Trip,” a road trip comedy about family.

Friday Night Flick: “Wedding Crashers,” finds Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn in a romantic comedy that showcases their sarcastic wit, with a touch of heart.

Apr. 18 – Apr. 21
First Run Selection: Director Judd Apatow’s latest venture into mid-life crisis, “This is 40,” is the prequel to his major hit Knocked up which stars Leslie Mann and Paul Rudd as a married couple.

Friday Night Flick: “Bridesmaids” is a hysterical ensemble comedy starring Kristen Wiig.

Apr. 24 – Apr. 28
First Run Selection: “Django Unchained,” Tarantino’s latest is a clash between spaghetti-western and black exploitation movies, and might be his most controversial yet.

Friday Night Flick: “Inglourious Basterds,” is a World War II fiction seen through the eye of one of our generation’s best and outrageous directors.