Summer music festivals announce details

Published: Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tis the season for music fests! Scattered all across the country, they have been a tradition for devotees for several decades and have gained a massive following, especially among the college-aged and young adult concert-going groups. With growing anticipation for multi-artist concerts like Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza and the like, spring and summer concert hosts have begun to release the performance lineups. Featuring indie, underground hip-hop and everything in between, 2013 music fests are expected to satisfy all attendees’ tastes and expectations.

Coachella, an already sold-out show, will happen April 12 to 14 and continue the 19 through the 21 in Indio, Cal. West Coast music fans devoured any and all tickets within the first 15 minutes of online sales. The desert-like venue is expected to be filled to the brim, especially following the success of last year’s star-studded turnout. Headlining the jam-packed event will be the alternative classic Red Hot Chili Peppers, rock band Blur, punk quartet Stone Roses and indie-pop group Phoenix. Additional appearances will be made by Passion Pit, Wu Tang Clan, The xx, Local Natives and Beach House. Providing quite the array of talents, Coachella 2013 will surely please punk rock fans, hip-hop heads and indie lovers alike.

Bonnaroo, an equally popular festival, is set for the summertime: June 13 to 16 in the not-too-rowdy city of Manchester, Tenn. Not yet sold-out, but getting there, limited higher-priced tickets (around $300) will continue to be sold on the concert’s website. This one is geared a little more towards the hip hop/rap crowd, showcasing favorites like A$AP Rocky, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore, the timeless Nas and classic R&B crooner R. Kelly. Members of the indie rock niche will be eager to hear that Mumford and Sons, St. Vincent, Animal Collective, Cat Power and Wilco have not been neglected. And for the classically-appreciative fans, Sir Paul McCartney and Tom Petty have also been confirmed as guests.

Planned for August 2 to 4, the Chicago-held Lollapalooza has not yet conducted ticket sales, or even released an official lineup, for that matter. Rumors and screenshots of the fest’s site, however, have revealed to fans that performances will include the likes of The Cure, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, Vampire Weekend, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. “Melting pot” seems to be the ongoing trend for music festivals this season, as we observe the inclusion and blending of countless genres and artist styles within each lineup.

If your high hopes for attendance to any of these three music fests have been quashed, never fear! There are countless other multi-band concerts/campouts happening throughout this spring and summer, many of which are drivable for New Englanders and affordable for spring-break bound college students. Electric Zoo, (August 30 to September 1), is an all-electronic/house extravaganza held in New York City. Newport Festival, conveniently in Newport, R.I., will host indie bands galore, with a lineup including My Morning Jacket, Wilco, Iron & Wine and more. There are many options for the concertgoer to get his or her fix; research is key, as is hopping on ticket purchases. Summer 2013 will be teeming with music and a breakout of up-and-coming artists. Music expertise sites like Pitchfork, Rolling Stone and StereoGum are your best bet for reliable concert updates and festival info.