Survive Black Friday

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

November 23. To some, that date may mean nothing. To others, it is the most glorified day of the year. Why, you may ask?
Black Friday.

Some consider the tradition an obnoxious exemplar of American consumerism, but for others, it’s just fun. For Billy Lambert, a junior English major and a Ralph Lauren employee, “It’s liking Jumanji, expect it’s not a f***in’ game.”
Avoid the bumps and bruises from this year’s nasty crowd by following our guidelines to a safe Black Friday: 2012 edition.

Set a strict budget. Remember that you don’t have all the money in the world to spend. A lot of these stores trick their customers into thinking they’re saving more money with their deals. But in reality, they are making them spend more. Psychologically speaking, when you see a great deal you are more likely to spend money, correct? Well, would you have bought that unnecessary item otherwise? Most likely not. So make sure you have a spending limit–and make sure it is actually affordably in your price range!
Check up on sales before you hit the crowds. It is good to know what you are looking for before you get there. Make sure you know what you want, where to get it and where you can get the best deal for it. Doing so beforehand will save you a lot of redundant running around.

Utilize the web and other technological devices to aid in your Black Friday experience. Try websites such as BFAds.net or BlackFriday.fm, which both show and overview upcoming sales and deals. You can also search your smart phone for money-saving apps or consult specific websites like Totallytarget.com or IHeartTheMart.com.

Get free gift cards. Usually they come in the mail or online. Use them, that is all.

Find a shopping buddy. No one likes to get trampled in the crowds alone (or trampled at all). Divide your list and split up. That way you can efficiently get all your shopping done in the quickest time possible. This is especially helpful for those of you who are willing to camp out at all hours of the night waiting for the grand opening!
Or, if you truly want to avoid the bruises, don’t even show up this year! Online shopping is always a viable alternative to possibly risking your health (or life) at the low cost of amazing deals.

Regardless of what path you decide to take, hitting the store’s ridiculous lines or skipping it all together, play it safe. Know what you are buying and make sure you are getting the best deal out there. But most of all, enjoy your holiday season!