To see or not to see: CRT Romeo and Juliet

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Friday, November 30, 2012

The Connecticut Repertory Theatre told a tale of forbidden love last night in its rendition of Shakespeare’s classic tragic play of “Romeo and Juliet.”
“Romeo and Juliet” has a slightly modern spin, with one of the main characters walking onto stage with headphones in his ears. He had clothes that were partially relevant to the times, but mixed with jeans. The whole play was structured so the audience wasn’t too sure whether they were trying to make it modern or stick to the time period.

The play jumped right into the action, with sword fighting between many of the Capulets and the Montagues. Another unusual modern twist was the Capulet ball scene where Romeo and Juliet first meet. They added classical music with modern beats and a few hip-hop dance moves. Despite some of the modern twists here and there, however, the play stuck to the classic Shakespeare language.

The women of the play weren’t the only ones wearing a lot of sparkle. Some of the guys one in glittery attire and even punkish accessories. There were a lot of silly puns and dirty jokes that only people familiar with the Shakespeare language could laugh along to. However, despite some of the fun humor, “Romeo and Juliet” still had dramatic scenes as the feuding families takes its toll on many of the characters. The play eventually led up to the ending many are familiar with poor timing and tragic deaths.

“I thought it was wonderful,” said John Haney another Mansfield resident. “I wish I had recently read up on ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ Then I could follow along with the dialogue better. They [the actors] delivered their lines beautifully. Always expect the puns and double meanings from Shakespeare.”
“I thought it was very good,” said Mary Francis of Mansfield. “I have seen it many times, the show, and I thought the acting was excellent and had great intonation. The sword fighting was excellent.”
Francis did express her confusion on the odd modern twists the play had.

“They had a nod to modern times, but they need to keep to the time period,” said Cheryl Pomerantz, a Mansfield High School teacher. “The acting was great.”
Pomerantz explained that she plans to bring her class of students who are currently reading “Romeo and Juliet” to the production.

“I can’t wait to see their reactions,” Pomerantz said.