Will Trampoline Club bounce back?

Published: Sunday, February 23, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 23, 2014 21:02

Trampoline Club may be taking its last jumps. Due to their gym’s closing, UConn Trampoline Club recently announced that its future looks uncertain in the upcoming months.

Throughout the semester, the club typically practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The members meet up around 6 p.m. at the Visitor’s Center and return to campus around 9 p.m. By carpooling, the club shuttles its typical attendance of 20 to 30 people for the 40-minute drive to The Trampoline Place.

Although it is a drive to get there, The Trampoline Place is a one-of-a-kind facility. Located in Plainfield, it is the only all-trampoline training facility in New England. The Trampoline Place boasts 10 world-class Olympic style trampolines. Their staff is qualified for beginners to experts, although the UConn club has its own instructor, Coach Bill. The facility also has overhead safety harnesses, end decks and pitch pads.

Despite the impressive set up, the Trampoline Place will be ending its lease in September.

“Trampolining is a recreational activity. When kids have homework or tests, it is often the first thing they’ll skip,” relates Richard Wolferz Jr., a sixth-semester biology major and the club’s president.

This may explain the facility’s unfortunate closing. Business for recreational activities is not as high when the economy is recovering and customers’ focus is on more essential activities. While UConn Trampoline Club asks no club dues, it is a commitment of time that many students cannot afford and so, skip practice.

Although trampolining might not demand the same dedication as other clubs, it has created lasting friendships. The assortment of students allows for a unique bond.

“Students from all parts of campus life come to Trampoline Club,” Wolferz continued. “We get skaters, snowboarders and skiers, gymnasts, adrenaline junkies, and random college students.”

With this student selection and sporadic attendance, the club rarely competes. However, their coach starts the trampolinists with the basics and advances them at a comfortable pace. The practices work muscles most don’t even know they have, but the soreness can be a reminder of a good time.

“Our last few practices are less about the trampolines and more about being together,” Wolferz said.

Despite the current despondent state of UConn Trampoline Club, the future still holds promise. Their coach may be able to open a new jumping facility in Groton, and the club might alter its activity schedule to maintain the friendships created. Although the future looks uncertain, the club refuses to quit jumping. Check out their last practice on Tuesday, March 25 or get on their Facebook page for more information.