Yoga, Zumba and electronic blends

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, February 9, 2014

Updated: Sunday, February 9, 2014 21:02

Juxtaposing the relaxing and meditative nature of yoga with flashing lights and Electronic Dance Music, the Electric Yoga Experience brought exercise and fun to UConn students.

Part of SUBOG’S Snolympics themed Winter Weekend EYE had students moving around and staying warm as temperatures dropped outside.

EYE was started a few years ago to promote fitness and fun on a college campus, where exercising is often seen as an additional item on a never ending to do list. According to their website, they combined yoga and the feel of an EDM festival to bring people closer to relaxation with music.

The event started with a block of yoga supplemented by electronic trance music and relaxing blue lightning. The instructor worked participants through a series of strenuous sun salutations and challenged students with difficult yoga poses.

After 45 minutes of intense yoga, the hosts switched gears and moved to the Zumba portion of the event. For another 45 minutes, participants were coached through a heart rate rising Zumba workout to EDM music, flashing lights and light up hula hoops.

Students enjoyed the energy of the event and remarked on how it was a good opportunity to exercise on a weekend night that would usually be spent avoiding the gym.

“It was electrifying good fun,” 6th–semester allied health sciences major, Avery Desrosiers said. “It was a great way to relieve stress because it started with yoga and relaxation and worked its way into high cardio Zumba. It was really needed to shake off the stress of the week.”

Similarly, sixth semester Allied Health Sciences major Sumia Hussain said the event was a good way to spend a Friday night.

“It was fun, exciting and I would definitely do it again,” Hussain said. “It was like a Zumba rave and very high energy. No regrets, it was a great way ti spend a Friday night.”

However other students’ expectations were not met.

“It was too fast paced for relaxing yoga,” said 6th–semester political science major, Sarah Walsh.

All things considered, however, Walsh said that despite the fast pace of the yoga, the night was enjoyable.

“All in all it was a good time and I can’t wait to do it again,” Walsh said.