Fresh beats for a new year

Published: Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Along with failed New Year’s resolutions and a ton of snow, 2013 has also brought many new, enticing albums to the billboards.  In just the past two months, Mumford & Sons, A$AP Rocky, Tegan and Sara, Local Natives and many other artists have released new albums.

Justin Timberlake’s new album, “The 20/20 Experience,” has not been released yet, but is expected to be available on March 19, according to iTunes. Two songs from the album have been released. One of them is “Mirrors,” which is already No. 7 on iTune’s Top Songs. With its catchy and soulful beat, it’s easy to see why this song has gained so much popularity. The song captures the essence of an emotional connection between two people with the lyrics, “And I can’t help but stare, cause I see truth somewhere in your eyes. I can’t ever change without you. You reflect me, I love that about you.”

Mumford & Sons released their live album “The Road to Red Rocks,” on Feb. 5. Their song, “Lovers’ Eyes,” is the second-most popular song on their album behind “I Will Wait,” according to iTunes. Both songs came from their Grammy-winning studio album “Babel,” which was named Album of the Year. Their use of many string and percussion instruments contributes to a folky sound. “Lovers’ Eyes” has a mellow and calming feel to it, but the lyrics are intense: “Cause there’s no drink or drug I’ve tried to rid the curse of these lover’s eyes/And I feel numb, beneath your tongue/Your strength just makes me feel less strong.” Despite the heavy lyrics, the soft sounds of the song as a whole make for perfect background music while studying or relaxing. 

A$AP Rocky’s new album, “LONG.LIVE.A$AP” was released on Jan. 11. “Wild for the Night” is one of the album’s songs featuring Skrillex and Birdy Nam Nam, which creates an interesting mix of artists. A$AP Rocky is known for more traditional hip hop, while Skrillex and Birdy Nam Nam make electric dance music. The song starts with a heavy deep voice and steady beat. After a 45-second intro, the song picks up the tempo. This song will get you pumped, whether you’re at a party or at the gym.

Tegan and Sara’s new album, “Heartthrob” was released on Jan. 28. “Closer” is the most popular song on the album thus far, according to iTunes. This song has an upbeat and positive vibe to it. The song is about the physical desire to get closer to another, which is easily communicated in the lyrics, “Here comes the heat before we meet a little bit closer/Here comes the spark before the dark, come a little closer.” 

Local Natives released their second album, “Hummingbird,” on Jan. 29. “Breakers” sets a good example of what one can expect from a Local Natives song. The lyrics are meaningful, the tone is indie/folk and the song has a calming presence. This song starts with melodic “oohs” and goes to a more intense place with lyrics, such as “No, I know, I know how far it’s gone myself. Maybe I’ll believe it from somebody else.” Perhaps these lyrics are about someone with a mental illness. One of the great things about music is that it is open to interpretation. 

This year in music looks promising, considering the albums that have been released in only the first couple months. Whether you are studying, laying down for a nap, getting ready for a party or singing in the shower, there’s something for you.