Freshmen talk about first semester at UConn

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 00:12

When, or if, a UConn freshman decides to become a true Husky depends heavily on their first months on Storrs campus. The first time away from home is an anxious time for any incoming student, but that anxiety either alleviates or worsens based on the first semester here.

“My favorite thing about living on my own is living on my own,” Aaron Gladstein, first semester material science engineering major said. “It would be nice to have family and support, but that’s what your dorm is for and what your friends are for.”

Freshman year of college is usually the first time many individuals are living on their own. For many, this may be a burden off the shoulders because their time is now in their hands. However, on the opposite side there is the ever-looming pitfall of procrastination that, without the support of parents or guardians, can lead to burgeoning anxiety.

“I have to be on my own back to get things done. At first I was worried about getting things done on my own like work or getting my room cleaned, but I think I’ve gotten better on doing those things myself,” said Julia Blanchard, first semester undecided major.

Freshman year is not just school work and what happens in the dorm, however. Partying at UConn is not strange to anyone who has lived here more than a year, and the way an incoming student interacts with that environment can be a healthy diversion, or a detriment
“In high school I really wasn’t exposed to the kinds of things I’ve been exposed to at UConn, but I’ve been trying to keep myself from going overboard.” Blanchard said. “In terms of partying, I have not formed any bad habits from it, but I’ve definitely seen people start to.”

These major challenge areas, independence, time management, and partying are some of the major detriments to success if poorly conducted. According to www.uconn.edu the freshman retention rate is approximately 93 percent. UConn also ranks 12 out of 58 for public research universities for graduation rate of freshman, which is about 68 percent.

This reinforces the confidence UConn has in its incoming freshman, as well as the expectations of them. As the UConn Alumni Association proclaims, “Students today. Huskies forever.” This is true for many UConn students who become engrossed in this husky personality. What being a Husky means, and when one becomes one, is different for every student.

“I went to Boston and I was wearing a UConn sweater, and it was weird because being in Boston you wouldn’t expect so many people yelling ‘UConn,’” Jen Allocco, first semester biology and German language major said. “It was very surreal.”