Happy days: how to celebrate the start of break

Published: Monday, December 10, 2012

It’s that special time of year, UConn – finals week approaches. Your stress levels are probably at an all-time high, and maybe you forgot to get your exam time changed and you have three exams on one day. I can’t help you with that, but what I can do is recommend things to look forward to and celebrate when finals week is over for you. 

Since finals week also heralds winter break, in which you won’t be able to see many of your friends for a whole month, why not throw a party? Make use of your dorm’s kitchen unit if you’re skilled in the culinary arts, or use the tons of extra points you have left to treat everyone to dinner at Chuck and Augies

Another way you can celebrate the end of finals is to catch a movie that you’ve been too busy to see. Lots of great and/or entertaining movies have come out recently. Want a bit of action? Maybe see “Skyfall” if you haven’t already. Into historical movies? “Argo” and “Lincoln” both got amazing reviews. If you’re feeling in a Zen kind of mood, think about seeing “Life of Pi.” Alternatively, you can also invite a bunch of friends over to a nostalgic night of Disney movies or other much loved films.

Of course, the old college standby is to go drinking, whether at Ted’s or Huskies, or a dorm or apartment. I assume that if you go to UConn, you know how to drink, so I’m not going to elaborate further on this point, only advise that if you do go out drinking to celebrate, you do so responsibly. Or at very least, have a responsible friend go with you.

If you’re something of a bookworm like me, take the end of finals week as a chance for a soothing leisure read. Reread “Harry Potter,” or give something new a chance. If you’re looking to laugh, try something by David Sedaris or Bill Bryson. Want something more transcendental? “Life of Pi” is based on a book, so give that a shot. I will be using some of my allotted reading time to curse the fact that “A Dance with Dragons” won’t be out in paperback until mid-March. 

Especially if you’re a graduating senior, take a long walk around campus with a close friend. I guarantee you’ll have a great conversation. As a bonus, if you’re the sentimental type, you can say your goodbyes to your favorite locations on campus. Laugh at Arjona’s attempts to poison you with asbestos. Eat one last buffalo chicken wrap from Grab and Go.

At the end of the week, just have fun and leave nothing undone. Good luck!