Huskies looking to come back strong

Published: Sunday, December 2, 2012

Despite being swept 2-0 and 3-0 by Vermont this past weekend, the UConn women’s ice hockey team does have something to look back on and forward to; the holidays.

“The holiday spirit will come back with us in January,” head coach Heather Linstad said. “We’re in a drought and the only ones that can fix it is us. They have to make it happen.”

UConn played two physical games against Vermont, and came out firing with high intensity in both contests.

The physicality in the second game of the series led to six total penalties, as well as numerous disciplines that went unseen.

“As long as it’s always consistent with the refs, I don’t have a problem with it,” Linstad said. “We should be more physical because one of our problems is that we are very passive. We need to get in people’s faces.”

The Huskies also out-shot the Catamounts in both games, 36-31 and 27-26.

UConn found ways to create turnovers and create opportunities on net coming off those turnovers. The opportunities going unconverted have been an issue for the Huskies over the past few games and over the course of the season.

“Systems wise, schemes wise we made better things happen, but we’re not having the success,” Linstad said. “When we have the goalie on her but we need to bury those chances.”

UConn, at times, has excelled at producing chances and controlling the puck in their offensive zone on their fore check as well as transitioning from their back check to their breakout.

Taking shots from the point while controlling the puck in the zone opened up plenty of chances from the slot for UConn this weekend, but they were, unfortunately, unable to put any in net.

The Huskies had no problem putting pressure on the opposition. Pressure typically leads to turnovers, which leads to chances and the red light shining bright.

UConn was unfortunately unable to take that next step from chances to reindeer games.

The Huskies have been outscored 15-4 in their previous 4 games, and have had trouble lighting up Rudolph’s nose.

Freshman forward Michela Cava currently leads the Huskies with six goals to go along with six assists on the season. Behind Cava, sophomore forward Rachel Farrel has five goals on the season for UConn.

The Huskies will face off with Princeton at the Mark Freitas Ice Forum on January 7th at 1:00 p.m. in their next matchup, following the holiday festivities.

“One of my gifts will be a win against Princeton,” Linstad said. “Every gift I get I will save it and open it on a gameday.”