Huskies travel to Worcester for weekend series

Published: Friday, January 28, 2011

The Huskies leave Storrs this weekend for Worcester, Mass. to play a pair of games against Holy Cross. Earlier in the season, UConn beat Holy Cross by a goal at the Toyota UConn Classic.

While the Dec. 29 matchup was at home, the Huskies will have to play with the same intensity away. Although UConn came away with the victory, Holy Cross won four consecutive games against the Huskies before this season and are the third-leading power play team in the AHA.

"I think it all comes down to who wants it more. We have all the tools to beat these teams, but if we don't work out Holy Cross it will be a long game, " said freshman Brant Harris. "We know what we have to and we are going to do it,"

With a record of 7-14-3, Holy Cross is tied for 8th in the AHA standings. Only one point separates the Crusaders and the Huskies (7-13-4).

Cole Schneider leads all freshmen in Atlantic Hockey with 22 points (seven goals, 15 assists). The Huskies have multiple scoring threats heading into this game. In their most recent game, resulting in a tie against Air Force, five different players netted the five goals scored.

"Every conference game from here on out is going to be a tight battle that will be won by the team that works the hardest," said Rui Encarnacao. "Holy Cross is an extremely hard working team and we need to be mentally prepared to come out even harder then them for the entire 60 minutes of the game."

With only four opponents left in the regular season, the Huskies need to gain points to advance in the standings.