International psych. honors society inducts new menbers at UConn

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 00:12

Tuesday night at the Dodd Center, UConn chapter of Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, inducted 17 new members. The psychology majors and minors were required to have a GPA of at least 3.4 and be in the top 3 percent of their class. Accepted students also had to have at least 2nd-semester sophomore standing, and must have completed nine semester hours of psychology courses. On average, the UConn chapter receives around thirty applications for membership within a given semester, and the quality of each terms applicants has steadily risen.

The guest speaker at the event was Professor Seth Kalichman, who was inducted into Psi Chi in 1982. Professor Kalichman has had an extensive career in research and has published numerous papers and books on issues such as AIDS behavioral research and substance use risks. He discussed the practical applications of psychology, and its potential to help deal with the growing AIDS epidemic in his presentation titled, “Psychology in action: Behavioral interventions to prevent HIV/AIDS in South Africa”. Kalichman discussed the research his team conducted in Cape Town, South Africa, and the way that community and group behavior intervention affected the cultural norms that lead to AIDS transmission. “The intervention that we tested was through community engagement, individual level workshops and community-level intervention,” Kalichman said.

Following Professor Kalichman’s remarks, Psi Chi President Ashley Raynock asked inductees to agree to the organization’s oath. New inductees then signed the Chapter’s Role Book, officiating their initiation into the organization. New members received a pin and certificate showing their official status as members of Psi Chi.

For many of the inductees, joining Psi Chi serves as a major accomplishment, and an important asset in achieving their future goals.

“I was interested in the benefits of being a member of Psi Chi, especially for how it helps when looking to apply for grad school,” 5th-semester psychology and spanish major Jennifer Selensky said.

Psi Chi is planning to hold several events over the course of the spring semester both for the benefit of its members and the general university population at large. According to Psi Chi President Raynock, the honor society hopes to host an upcoming GRE practice night and a Valentine’s Day event.