Knicks future with Carmelo Anthony in doubt

Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 21:01

With the trade deadline as well as the All-Star break steadily approaching, the reeling Knicks may be looking to shake up their roster by trading perennial All-Star Carmelo Anthony.

The Knicks are having a very disappointing year thus far, with a current record of 15-26. The Knicks have the second highest payroll in the NBA behind their cross-town rival, the Brooklyn Nets.

A rebuilding phase may be in the works as they may try to move their superstar. Rumored deals have the Knicks possibly trading for Los Angeles Clippers’ posterizer Blake Griffin.

Anthony’s year is up at the end of the year although his contract does include a player option that would allow Anthony to return to the team for an extra year. With the Knicks still spiraling, reports indicate that Anthony has lost his patience with the team and will leave at the end of the year.

The Knicks could seemingly lose Anthony for nothing this off-season, so it only makes sense to maximize their opportunity and deal him for a highly valued 2014 first round draft pick or a veteran player.

Amare Stoudemire will also be departing from the Knicks this off-season as his contract, the third highest in the league, will be up.

With Anthony and Stoudemires’ contracts off the books, the Knicks will hopefully be in a position to make some moves this off-season.

The Knicks should look no further than New England for their rebuilding plans. The Celtics turned their two aging stars, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett, into several first round picks and expiring contracts that wouldn’t affect their salary cap.

Boston also traded their star head coach, Doc Rivers, into a future unprotected first round pick in the 2015 Draft.

The Knicks need to trade their assets to get future picks and young talent, just as the Celtics have done.