Maximizing your job search: Center for Career Developments presents the five steps to effective job

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 23:02

Michael Petro presented a short and valuable information session at Laurel Hall last night. These sessions are facilitated by the Center for Career Development, at which Petro is the assistant director for employer relations, and aim to aid job or internship-seeking students in their search for employment.

Petro’s presentation pushed students to form a personal brand during the collegiate experience, one based on self-analysis of individual interests, skills, values, and personality. It also urged students to take advantage of the abundant networking opportunities and tools that are provided to them, whether from the university or online platforms.

Petro said job applicants should manage their personal brand via tools such as Husky Career Link and LinkedIn. These online platforms easily allow their users to get a foot in the door with potential employers and establish common ground before the actual, physical process of interviewing. Husky CareerLink provides students with a filterable “Career Search” – soon to be “Career Beam” – that allows the user access to hundreds of prospective employers and expected qualities and prerequisite accomplishments from applicants.

Petro said students seeking employment from smaller companies and organizations should utilize this tool and see it as an alternative to career/job fairs. Membership in field or job-specific professional organizations jump out at hiring managers. Much like untapped LinkedIn circles, any other networking opportunities should not be ignored.

Once further into the application process, Petro said students should brush up their professional image and interaction with interviewers, but most importantly their potential use or relevance to the specific company, or goals/functions of the company. Petro added that applicants are, now more than ever, expected to be informed members of society.

“Read lots of publications,” said Petro, and especially those which cater to your intended field. Petro said being proactive is key, and doing so with any avenue creating common ground with your employer shows them that you are like-minded. Petro said employers chomp at the bit for applicants with this promising quality. Initiating job opportunities and pursuing them through email, networking events or conferences show the confidence employers are looking for, and doing so in a professional manner is imperative. Petro said these sessions share how to foster a career-friendly mentality, but focus on how this mindset play into presentation of a student’s professional personality along with a job-specific skill-set.