Men's Basketball: Redshirt sophomore Rodney Purvis to undergo surgery

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Monday, December 16, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 16, 2013 19:12

UConn men’s basketball’s redshirt sophomore Rodney Purvis will undergo an arthroscopy surgery tomorrow morning at the UConn Health Center in Farmington to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder.

An MRI that was done earlier this year revealed the tear, and with Purvis being forced to sit out this season—per NCAA rules—after transferring from NC State, the decision to have the surgery was made now.

The recovery time is expected to be four to five months, allowing Purvis to have a full off-season once he’s able to resume basketball activities.

The operation is also expected to repair some tightened up muscles that has been nagging Purvis since his high school days back in Raleigh, N.C.

According to the ESPN 100 recruiting database, Purvis was ranked at No. 20 out of the 100 players in the class of 2012. He was also the top-ranked player in the state of North Carolina, No. 3 in the region and No. 5 at the shooting guard position.

The 6-foot-4 guard transferred to UConn after averaging 8.3 points in 25.5 minutes played per game last season with the Wolfpack. Purvis will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning next season.