Men's Basketball: UConn tops No. 17 Memphis for first conference road win

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 22:01

DeAndre Daniels scored a game-high 23 points and grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds to help the UConn men’s basketball team topped No. 17 Memphis, 83-73, at FedExForum Thursday night for the team’s first American Athletic Conference road victory.

The Huskies (14-3, 2-2 AAC) were also propelled by Shabazz Napier and Lasan Kromah, who had 17 and 13 points, respectively. Napier’s 10 assists gave him a double-double alongside Daniels as well.

With the Huskies trailing 40-39 coming out of the break, Daniels quickly knocked down three shots – including two 3-pointers – in a span of just two-and-a-half minutes into the second half to pull the Huskies to a 49-42 lead.

In a contest that saw 13 lead changes and three ties, Memphis eventually evened the contest at 62-62 with five minutes remaining, but Napier and Kromah combined for 14 of UConn’s final 21 points to defeat the hosts in front of a crowd of 18,039.

With the loss, the Tigers fall to 12-4 overall and 3-2 in the conference. Both AAC losses came at home, which marked the first time Memphis dropped two consecutive home games since December of 2005.

Memphis led the game at halftime thanks to some hot shooting from the 3-point range. The Tigers, who came into the game with a 29 percent shooting from beyond the arc – which ranked below the No. 300s in the NCAA – shot 5-for-8 (63 percent) from there in the first half.

The Tigers also held first-half edges in rebounding with 19-14 and shot 9-for-13 from the free throw line, but the Huskies managed to turn the table in those areas in the second half with a 20-8 rebounding advantage while holding Memphis to just 3-for-4 from the line and 2-for-9 from the 3-point range.

UConn will return home to host the defending national champions and No. 18 Louisville Cardinals at Gampel Pavilion on Saturday as part of ESPN’s College GameDay. Tipoff for that game is scheduled for 9 p.m.