Men's Tennis: Huskies take on Siena College

Published: Monday, September 23, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 23, 2013 23:09

The UConn men’s tennis team will put its undefeated record on the line on Tuesday afternoon against the Saints of Siena College.

The Huskies (2-0) have started off the year perfect. After shutting out the University of Hartford in the opening match, they went on to battle back against Boston University to keep their undefeated record alive.

Tuesday could be the toughest match of the year so far for the Huskies. The Saints come into Storrs with a 2-1 record. Their two wins came against Saint Francis (N.Y.) by a score of 6-1, and Wagner 7-0.

A reason for UConn’s early success has been the duo of senior captain Ryan Carr and junior Wayne Harrell. Carr and Harrell have been playing doubles together since last season and have developed a chemistry that has propelled them to two victories to start this season. They won both of their doubles matches by a score of 8-3, never been in jeopardy of dropping a point for their team.

The two freshmen for the Huskies have impressive thus far as well. Parker Goldstein and Chris Toner have had an impact right away, playing solid tennis and winning points for the team. Toner has won both of his matches by not dropping a set 6-4, 6-0 and 6-4, 6-1. Goldstein has won both of his 6-3, 7-5 and 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (5). They also won a doubles match together against Hartford.

The Huskies will take on Siena at 3 p.m. at the UConn Tennis Courts.