The UConn Daily Campus

Asian Nite 2012 celebrates colorful, diverse cultures

By Zarrin Ahmed

Published: Sunday, February 26, 2012

Updated: Friday, August 23, 2013

asia nite

JON KULAKOFSKY/The Daily Campus

The Nepali Student Association performs at Asian Nite 2012 in the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012. The Nite featured music, skits, stories and dancing that celebrated the varied nature and facets of Asian culture.

Sixteen different acts took the stage of the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts at Asian Nite 2012, where Asian groups and societies on campus showcased their talents and culture.

Hosted by emcees Navi Cheema, Josh Andrade, Albert Lee, Brian Ingmanson and Ted Yoo, Asian Nite boasted a large audience despite the uproar in Gampel for the UConn vs Syracuse game. They introduced the first act of the night, Blue Revolution. Blue Revolution began their set with a member dressed as Aladdin, while another member strummed the guitar and sang "A Whole New World." They switched up their style by adding an electric violin, drums, and vocals and incorporating songs like "Marvin's Room," "Wild n Free" and "No Woman No Cry." This was the group's last performance for Asian Nite.

Before the second act, three of the hosts performed a dance to "Jump On It" to prepare the crowd for the dance group Illumin8. The group consisted of nine dancers. At first, all of the dancers were together, then they featured parts that were only males and only female dancers. Their performance included breakdancing and ballet to songs like "Gotta Have It" by Jay-Z and Kanye West and "Stronger" by Kanye West.

To open the third act, two hosts tried their hand at a Spanish rap. A Cappella group Husky Hungama took the stage, singing a mix of Hindi and English songs like "How To Love" by Lil Wayne. The Nepali Student Association took the stage next with a skit that described a mela – a street festival. The story behind the skit goes as follows: it's a dance off between the guys and girls where if the guys win, they get to meet the girls.

The Korean Student Association kicked off the next act, where the entire group danced to Korean music. One part of their performance even featured a dance off between the girls of the group. After them was the Vietnamese Student Association did a story telling skit about a bird giving gold to poor farmers in Vietnam in exchange for eating the star fruit from their tree. The story had plot twists that included greedy brothers and rocks that turned into gold when put into a bag.

UConn group Surya took the stage after the VSA. Donned in red, gold, and black, the predominantly female group danced to a mix of hip hop and classical Indian music. Before the next act, there was a guest performance by A-Minor, an A Cappella group. Husky Bhangra went up next. The males and females of the group paired up and matched their outfits by color. They danced mostly to Hindi songs, but also occasional Spanish and hip hop songs as well.

The hosts of the show did a special thanks to Kim Pho, coordinator of Asian Nite. They brought out a bouquet of roses and even recited poetry to her on stage. UConn Taiko then braced the stage, beginning with a drumming duel between two members. They began with four members on twelve drums and quickly added eight more drummers to create sounds that shook the Jorgensen auditorium.

Before the next act, the hosts had the crowd sing along to Spongebob's "F.U.N. song" in efforts to help Yoo learn the meaning of "fun." Saathiya, a dance group, took the stage. They danced a style of Bollywood fusion while telling the story of lovers and arranged marriages.

The Filipino American Student Association showcased their national pride by dancing a traditional folk dance. The men wore grass skirts while the women wore the colors of the Philippine flag and flowers. They used props and ended their performance arranged as the colors of their flag.

Carnatic Beatz is a duo of classical Indian singers. Incorporating drums into their performance, the duo sang songs originating back from 500 B.C.E. The next act was T Huskies, or Tae Kwon Do Huskies. They did a short sequence of moves with all the team members and then led into a practice routine of moves and stunts.

Greek houses Pi Delta Psi and Kappa Phi Lambda performed a remake of Grease, complete with a step routine at the end that showcased Greek pride. The final act of the night was Thunderaas, a dance group that included stick props and colorful outfits to showcase the dance moves of South India.

Comments

Be the first to comment on this article!

Click here to leave a comment
View full site