Most romantic Valentine’s Day spots to celebrate on campus

Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 13, 2014 23:02

Mirror Lake

Alex Sferrazza/ The Daily Campus

Even in winter, the beautiful Mirror Lake remains one of the most romantic spots on campus for couples to pass the time together.

There’s something wonderful about Valentine’s Day. Oh sure, there are those out there that can’t stand the one day of the year devoted to love, but for those of us with someone to spend it with, it can be the best day of the whole year! Of course, when you’re stuck here at UConn, it can be harder than normal to have a really romantic time; after all, classrooms don’t exactly make for romantic cuddle sessions. However, being the smart cookie that I am, I’ve come up with what I believe to be the most romantic spots on campus, for all you lovebirds out there to use to your heart’s content.

First off is the obvious Mirror Lake. There’s nothing nicer than setting out a nice picnic and sharing it with your significant other down by a crystal clear body of water – birds chirping, bees buzzing – it gets my heart racing just thinking about it.

If you want something a bit less cliché than a lakeside picnic, give the Benton a try. No, don’t go to the museum itself, but rather, go ahead and take a stroll alongside the back of the building. There you’ll find a pleasant little sitting area, located in the Benton’s small garden. There are some chairs and tables for a casual lunch. It makes for a nice, romantic, secluded spot, as the trees and bushes will protect you from the wandering eyes of passers-by.

But perhaps you want something more casual? In that case, try a personal favorite of mine, Lu’s Café. Now, this might not immediately strike most of you as a ‘romantic’ spot on campus, but I think that Lu’s has some charm. It’s more secluded than the other UConn eateries on campus – located down underneath the Family Studies building – and gives off the feeling of lounging in an old fashioned speakeasy during the days of prohibition. The food isn’t that great, but this place is all about the atmosphere.

If you’re looking for somewhere fun to go on a date, consider taking a hike around the Horsebarn Hill area. Unfortunately, it may be a bit cold for that today, but here’s an even better idea: sledding. What could make for a more fun Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart than partaking in some good old fashioned sledding? I mean, honestly, is there anyone who can truthfully say that they wouldn’t enjoy being taken sledding? After you’re done, you’ll be cold too, which is a great excuse to go and drink some hot chocolate, cuddle up and watch a movie.

Wherever you decide to go though, just make sure you have fun. Most of the time, we become so caught up in what Valentine’s Day is about that we forget to just enjoy it. So go out, kiss someone you love, and just enjoy the time you have with them. Who knows when you’ll get to see them again?