Balancing a part-time job with a full course load

Published: Monday, February 3, 2014

Updated: Monday, February 3, 2014 23:02

In today’s economy, students all over the UConn campus are being forced to take on a full class schedule as well as a part-time or full-time job.  Because UConn is such a large campus with plenty of businesses and offices there are many employment opportunities for students looking for an income.  Though jobs are accessible to students in terms of location, making the time to work with such busy class schedules can be difficult.

Julia Lachut, a 6th-semester elementary-education major, currently has to juggle a full-time NEAG schedule, which includes student teaching, with an on-campus job.  Lachut works as an office assistant at the Office for Sponsored Programs, and is required to work 10-15 hours a week.

According to the Student Employment office website, on average, students work six to 12 hours a week.  The number of hours a student works is typically based on a number of considerations including the students class schedule and the department’s needs.

Ten to 15 hours of work a week coupled with five classes and a full day of student teaching in a local Connecticut elementary school makes Lachut an early riser.  On this particular Thursday, Lachut awoke at 6:30 a.m. to make it to her 8 a.m. class in the Castleman building, stopping at the dining hall to have a full breakfast before her long day.  Once her morning class had finished, she rushed over to the Whetten Graduate Center to work for two hours before an afternoon that included four more classes.  While at the Office of Student Programs, Lachut files papers, runs errands and creates excel spreadsheets, all common tasks for an office assistant.   

Working while attending classes full-time has helped Lachut in more than just financial ways. “Working has given me a sense of responsibility while also helping me to manage my time,” Lachut said.  “I don’t know where I would be without my planner.”

Though taking five classes, student teaching and working part-time has left her with less free time, Lachut makes sure to find time to exercise at the gym and join clubs such as SUBOG Concert Committee and serves on the board of the Teacher Education Student Association.