Checking in with Storrs Center

Published: Friday, December 7, 2012

Students returning to campus after Thanksgiving break may have noticed that new businesses have opened up at the Storrs Center. Once complete, the center will boast a variety of businesses, shops and restaurants right next to the UConn campus.

The first phase of the development began in August just before the semester began. The development included 127 rental apartments and several other new and returning businesses that are currently being enjoyed by Mansfield residents. The parking garage opened in September, and the road system continues to be developed. Construction of the next phase is well underway, and is expected to be fully open by August 2013. This development will include another 195 residential units, commercial spaces and the town square. The town square area will comprise restaurants and shops, wide sidewalks and outdoor seating, and is expected to become the hub of a diverse university community.

To date, 11 businesses have opened their doors at the Storrs Center, and some have already become well-loved staples of university life. Froyo World offers a healthier alternative to ice cream, with a rotation of 8-12 monthly flavors and 45 toppings. This month, Froyo World has introduced a new festive flavor: gingerbread cookie. Insomnia Cookies, who had previously had stores on 20 university campuses across the country, extended their service to UConn, allowing students to satisfy their cookie craving at any time.

Sweet Emotions offers over 400 varieties of candy, including international brands and retro candy that will remind students of their childhood.

The Storrs Center’s most recent addition is Moe’s, a Southwestern-style grill which is known for its burritos. In addition to specializing in organic, free-range food, Moe’s also offers an extensive range of vegetarian and low-calorie meals.

A 7-Eleven has also opened, where students can buy necessities as well as grab tasty snacks.

The benefits of the Storrs Center development include the creation of a new, dynamic community with businesses that cater for every student’s needs. It is projected to be a huge economic generator for the town of Mansfield, on a temporary basis for the duration of the construction period and also once all of the businesses are operational.

Saturday, local residents and visitors gathered to enjoy music by local singer-songwriter Curtis Brand. Performances are scheduled by The Conn-Men on Dec. 8, The Recliners on Dec. 15, Full Gael on Dec. 22, and the Mike Casey Jazz Quartet on Dec. 29.