Chem. professor arrested

Published: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 5, 2013 00:12

UConn Chem. professor arrested

Tumblr.com, Chromosome-champion

Gabriel Fenteany was arrested outside the chemistry building after allegedly vandalizing cars in a parking lot in Greenwhich.

A UConn associate chemistry professor was arrested by the UConn Police Department after piecing together a warrant issued by the Greenwich Police Department from November. Gabriel Fenteany, 46, has been released from Greenwich Police Department custody on a written promise to appear in court on Monday, Dec. 9, according to a Greenwich Police Department record.

After visiting a resident in Greenwich and becoming intoxicated on Oct. 26, Fenteany allegedly walked through parking lots “urinating, spitting, kicking and ripping side view mirrors” off of a BMW, two Audis, two Lexuses and a Honda Civic. He was arrested on three charges of mischief and one of breach of peace.

Fenteany is now on administrative leave from UConn and is prohibited to be on campus until allegations are concluded, said university spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

Fenteany was arrested in 2012 on two separate accounts last year related to a domestic dispute and then violating a protective order for his ex-wife and two children. Fenteany stood pre-trial for two felonies and seven misdemeanors at Rockville Superior Court, according to a Daily Campus article from February 2012.

According to the Connecticut Department of Public Safety Report from February 2012 quoted in The Daily Campus, Fenteany threw things, hit a female victim and punched a male victim in the face, breaking his glasses.

In the second incident, Fenteany was arrested at the East Brook Mall in Mansfield on September 11, 2012 for violating a protective order filed by his ex-wife to protect herself and their two minor children. He was charged with risk of injury to child, violation of a protective order, fourth-degree criminal mischief, interfering with an officer, breach of peace, interfering with an emergency call and third-degree assault, according to the same Daily Campus article.

After the two 2012 arrests, Reitz told the Daily Campus that the university was prohibited by law from firing employees due to an arrest if there has not been a conviction.

UConn is making arrangements for his classes and other responsibilities at UConn, said Reitz. Fenteany is the principle investigator of the Fenteany Research Group, which currently includes five Ph.D. students, a postdoctoral fellow and an undergraduate who research problems related to wound healing, cancer, and embryonic development. He was scheduled to teach Organic Chemistry II next semester, according to his research web page.

Fenteany has worked at UConn since 2006, according to his LinkedIn page, and is a Harvard and University of California, Santa Barbara alumnus. He lives in Vernon, Connecticut.

Kathleen McWilliams contributed.