Conn. universities see rise in admissions

State universities receiving applications in greater numbers

Published: Friday, October 12, 2012

Tuition at many colleges is on the rise, and as a result, state universities have received more applications.

“UConn has experienced considerable growth in application volume,” said Nathan Fuerst, director of undergraduate admissions at the University of Connecticut. “This is the case at most, but not all, public flagship universities.”
In the fall of 2011, 5,332 new students applied to Southern Connecticut State University, according to their website. 3,831 students were accepted and 1,334 students enrolled. Southern Connecticut also had 2,072 transfer students apply, of which 1,672 were accepted and 935 enrolled.

Fall of 2011 was also a busy time for Western Connecticut State University. According to their website, they had 5,196 applicants for full time students. New students made up 4,157 of those applications and 1,039 were transfers. 2,593 new students were offered admission along with 798 transfers. 867 new students enrolled, as did 431 transfer students.

Eastern Connecticut State University also had a spike in admissions in the fall of 2011. They experienced a 40 percent increase in their student body, according to Chris Dorsey, associate director of admissions.

The fall of 2012 also saw a large number of applications to state universities. According to Central Connecticut State University’s website, they received applications for 5,656 first year students and 1,880 transfer students. 3,620 first year students were accepted as were 1,410 transfer students.

Fuerst said that admissions have also been rising at UConn. For fall 2012 admission was offered to 13,400 freshmen applicants.

“UConn is one of the top universities in the nation and our stock among college bound students continues to rise,” Fuerst said. “More and more students are taking note of the incredible opportunity that is available to them at UConn. With increased exposure in the media and rankings, as well as making it easier for students to apply to UConn, we have seen considerable increases in application volume.”
The number of freshmen applications to UConn in fall 2012 was a record high, with 29,964 new students applying.

Taking in more students can impact college life as a whole. Dorsey said that housing at Eastern Connecticut is at its maximum, although they are able to house everyone who wants housing.

“Enrolling more than the expected number can impact both physical and non physical constraints of the campus,” Fuerst said. He said that two of the biggest areas impacted could be housing and course availability.

Dorsey and Fuerst also said that transfer applications at their schools have been slowly increasing. For Eastern Connecticut this increase has been over the past four to five years. At UConn the increase has happened over the past ten years.

Both Eastern Connecticut and UConn have high expectations for the fall of 2013. Eastern Connecticut plans to enroll 915 freshmen. UConn plans to enroll 3,225 freshmen.