Cosmo among big names to cohost Campus Kisses fund raiser with a UConn sorority

Published: Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 01:10

With a handwritten postcard and a lipstick kiss to seal its envelope, the UConn chapter of Pi Beta Phi will raise funds to support U.S. military efforts overseas Wednesday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. from their home in Husky Village.

The women of Pi Beta Phi are inviting all students to participate in the Campus Kisses to the Troops event, a nationwide event sponsored by Cosmopolitan magazine, Maybelline New York and Seventeen magazine.

For each postcard a participant writes, Cosmopolitan, Maybelline and Seventeen will donate $1 to the troops. The postcards will be included in care packages sent to U.S. troops in honor of Veterans Day.

Pi Beta Phi Vice President of Communications Melissa Ober said she hopes to have participants write 1,000 postcards, although she is unsure of what to expect as this is the first time the UConn chapter of the sorority has taken part in the event.

Representatives from Maybelline will be at Pi Beta Phi’s C2 house in Husky Village to do participants’ lipstick in order to create the perfect pout for the postcard envelopes. In addition, students who tweet a picture of their handwritten postcard with the hashtag #campuskisses2013 will have the chance to donate $1,000 to a charity of their choice.

What Ober can expect from Campus Kisses to the Troops, however, is a fun atmosphere. “Everyone’s going to be really excited and happy to be there,” she said. “It’s going to be very high energy. We’re hoping to get as many participants as we can.”

Cosmopolitan started Kisses to the Troops in New York City in 2009 and has since donated over $200,000. In 2011, Cosmopolitan teamed up with Maybelline and Seventeen to kickstart the fundraising initiative on college campus. So far, sororities across America have sent more than 58,000 postcards to U.S. troops overseas.