Couples tied the knot at church on UConn campus

Published: Friday, February 14, 2014

Updated: Friday, February 14, 2014 00:02

UConn Marriage

Courtesy of Elizabeth Jordan

Jordan and Clark kiss at the reception at the UConn Alumni Center.

UConn Marriage

Courtesy of Elizabeth Jordan

Elizabeth Jordan and Ryan Clark were married at the Storrs Congregational Church on the UConn campus on Sept. 21, 2013.

UConn Marriage

Courtesy of Elizabeth Jordan

Jordan and Clark’s engagement photo, the couple met in at work.

Elizabeth Jordan and Ryan Clark married at Storrs Congregational Church on September 21, 2013. Elizabeth attended the Storrs Congregational Church as a child.

“I went to Storrs Congregational Church growing up in Storrs and always wanted to get married there. I have always loved that church, it is beautiful, and having a ceremony there was great. I think [Rev.] Matt did a really good job. It’s cool because it’s so beautiful outside,” said Jordan.

Both had some connection to UConn. Elizabeth grew up in the UConn community. Both her parents worked at the university: one as an engineering professor and the other works in the resource center in the CUE building. She also graduated from UConn in 2006. Ryan grew up in Windham where his mom worked as a teacher and he worked as a volunteer fire fighter. His sister, however, worked at UConn child labs where Elizabeth used to go to herself as a child.

The couple met at Pratt and Whitney where the two worked together.

“We met while working at Pratt together. Our first encounter occurred when Ryan was working 2nd shift and I was working first. I used to borrow his chair during the day to be near my customers and I first met him when he came to his desk and found me there. From there we became friends and would often joke about “my tab” for all the chair use I racked up…I had a party shortly after and invited a few people from his group. I did not invite him because I thought he would be too cool for that, and not be interested in my party…. apparently I was wrong because when he found out about the party he wanted to go and then asked me about it. I was shocked at his interest but gave him my address and phone number and the rest was history. He came to every party after that and we became better friends through knowing each other at work and outside work. We were just friends for several years before we moved on to dating,” stated Jordan.

Once the couple started dating, Elizabeth knew early on that Ryan was the “one.”

“I knew Ryan was the one very early on. I never felt as comfortable or as happy with any other boyfriends. I was almost I shock how easy it was to be happy with him, and what level of happiness I felt. When we were friends I knew he was unique and fun to be around, but after we started dating and spending more and more time together I fell more and more in love with him. I still feel like the more I know him the more I love him, which is how I knew he was the one. I think we were probably dating for just a few months when I felt I knew it was right,” said Jordan.

They were friends before dating and eventually getting engaged New Year’s Eve of 2013 just before midnight. Ryan proposed during the couple’s New Year’s Eve party.

“He made a big sign out of lights in the backyard. He brought me out on the deck and turned the lights on so I could see. It said ‘Liz, Marry Me?’ He had the ring and everything so it was pretty cool.”

The couple eloped a few weeks later. Their full wedding was at Storrs Congregational Church in the fall of that year with all their friends and family.