Dan Rather to give lecture at Eastern Connecticut State University Tuesday

Published: Sunday, October 7, 2012

WILLIMANTIC – Eastern Connecticut State University’s Arts and Lecture Series is presenting former “CBS News” anchor and “60 Minutes” correspondent Dan Rather, who will be speaking on “Looking Ahead to the 2012 Election” tomorrow night at ESCU.

UConn and ESCU students can reserve free tickets by calling (860) 465-0036 or emailing tickets@easternct.edu. The lecture will be at 7 p.m. on Oct. 9 in the Francis E. Geissler Gymnasium. Because tickets are in high demand, students should reserve their tickets as soon as possible to get a seat. Tickets for the general public are $10.

For more than 40 years, Rather has been reporting on the world’s leading news stories.

Rather’s reporting skills have taken him to locations as far ranging as Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, China, Russia and Cuba. He served as a correspondent during the Vietnam War, the Mujahadeen uprising against the Soviets in Afghanistan and the first and second Iraq wars.

Rather was among the first estern journalists to report on the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests and he interviewed Mikhail Gorbachev in Red Square and Fidel Castro in Havana.

On the domestic front, Rather has covered every presidential campaign since 1952. He was a White House correspondent for “CBS News” during the administrations of Presidents Johnson and Nixon and was the first network television journalist to report that President John F. Kennedy had been assassinated.

As a reporter and White House correspondent during the 1960s, Rather reported on the civil rights struggle in the South, covering civil rights demonstrations in Savannah, GA; Birmingham, AL; and multiple locales in Mississippi from 1962 to 1964.

From 1972 to 1974, Rather covered the Watergate scandal and the subsequent resignation of President Richard Nixon.

In the days and weeks that followed the deadly attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001, he became the first journalist to report from underneath “The Pile” at Ground Zero.

Rather has written eight books, five of which are on the New York Times best-sellers list. “Rather Outspoken” is currently in stores.