Department prepares for concert

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 22:02

The UConn Fire Department is gearing up for this weekend’s Groove Boston concert with three fully staffed ambulances, an increased number of medical teams attending the event, forewarned local hospitals and the hope that students will do their best to stay safe.

During last year’s electric dance concert at Jorgensen, similar to this weekend’s Groove Boston, “the fire department had numerous calls even at the very beginning of the concert and took three patients to the hospital right at the start,” Lieutenant Heidi Vaughan said. Therefore, Vaughan said, “we have increased our staffing,” for this year’s performance.

“Alcohol intoxication, severe vomiting and possibly other drug use” are the cause for the many 911 calls received during events like Groove Boston, said Vaughan.

The root of these calls, however, is not under the fire department’s control. No matter how many personnel they send to the event, the best way for students to stay safe and enjoy the event is in their hands.

“We know students drink before, but just be responsible,” said Vaughan. “Don’t drink too, too much or, best of all, don’t drink at all.”

As usual, no bags or backpacks will be allowed into Jorgensen during the Groove Boston performance.