Gas leak detected at McMahon
A potentially dangerous gas leak kept students out of McMahon Monday
Published: Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Updated: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 01:10
On Monday, October 14, a gas leak was detected within Brien McMahon hall, and students evacuated from the building as firefighters searched for the source.
The alarm went off at 1:35 pm, and students congregated on the lawn.
Simon Archambault, a third-semester Physiology Neurobiology and Psych major, said that “the firefighters respondent really quickly” and addressed the problem right away. There was an “extravagant number” of responders, and some of the students were worried that the leak was “potentially dangerous.” The leak “smelled like natural gas” as it “permeated through the hallways.”
Many students missed an hour or two of hard work, sleep, or other midday activity, but are pleased that the situation was totally under the firefighters’ control.
Simon was “choosing [his] classes for next semester” and was not totally eager to lose the time, but he said as long as the problem was addressed, that’s what’s important.
The nature of the gas leak is as yet a mystery. The firefighters did urge the students waiting outside not to smoke, lest an explosion rock the building and the surrounding areas.
The Mansfield fire chief has not yet been reached for comment, though the residents of McMahon can rest assured that the gas leak is no longer an issue.