Group says pick a President, not a party

Published: Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Americans Elect, a nationwide nonpartisan nominating process, is gearing up for the 2012 election season and is recruiting students to join the effort. The slogan of the nomination is to "pick a President, not a Party."

The Americans Elect ticket requires that the presidential candidate choose someone from a different party as a running mate. The idea is to break the gridlock in Washington and bring new leadership into the government. The group is unaffiliated with any parties or political ideologies.

The nominating process is very voter-oriented, with voters choosing the questions for debates, voting on the issues they see as most important and interacting with delegates both online and face-to-face.

As part of the process, the group is reaching out to college campuses across the country. UConn is one of 120 colleges participating so far. Stephanie Blasnik, campus leader for Americans Elect at UConn, said in a Daily Digest release that the campus group is looking for 250 students to sign up by the end of the semester.

Students who sign up to participate will become part of the dialogue for choosing a candidate for next year's election. Members of the campus team will also recruit other students and host events on campus to raise awareness.

At a time when polls show that 80 percent of Americans distrust their government and Congress is less popular than Communism, many organizations like Americans Elect are striving for change in the political process. American Elect wants to provide an alternative to the showmanship of the Republican "debates," or moderated speeches as some have called them, where voters have little say in debate material and candidates generally avoid discussing the issues affecting the country.

By making the candidate selection process much more accessible to voters, Americans Elect seeks to find a candidate that voters are happy with, rather than one that is just the lesser of two evils.

To find out more information or to sign up, visit http://www.americanselect.org/uconn.