Michael Daniels appointed undergrad rep. for BOT

Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013

Daniels

PHOTO COURTESY OF MICHAELDANIELSFORUCONN.COM

Michael Daniels stands with a statue of Jonathan in the Husky Heritage Sports Museum. Daniels was elected Undergraduate Student Trustee on Tuesday.

The results of the undergraduate representative to UConn Board of Trustees were announced Wednesday, electing a new UConn student to serve as the only undergraduate member of the University’s highest decision-making body.

Michael Daniels, a junior political science and economic major, beat his opponent, sophomore geoscience major Jared Kaufman, by a margin of 359 votes out of 2,877 ballots cast in the race.

Daniels is the current chair of USG’s External Affairs Committee and said he ran for the Board of Trustees position because he wanted to “be involved in the processes and decisions.

“I’ve been in USG for my first three years in college,” Daniels said. “I’ve dealt with external affairs, primarily working with the state legislature and town of Mansfield. It’s given me the opportunity to interact with all types of university leaders and constituencies around campus.”

As the elected undergraduate representative, Daniels will be a voting member of the Board of Trustees and will sit on the board alongside 12 government appointees and five “ex-officio” members, including Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy and the state commissioners of agriculture and education. 

“It’s a very difficult job to go in as someone who’s 20 years old and serve with people who have mostly been appointed by the governor,” Daniels said.

“But I think my experience puts me in a good position to make myself known and respected.”

Daniels said his goal is to gain the confidence of his fellow board members and “make good changes.” He also said he will make a conscious effort to be available to students.

“I don’t expect [students] to be in tune to what’s going on, but they absolutely have the right to know,” Daniels said.

Kaufman said he was “disappointed” in the loss, but believes Daniels will serve competently.

“He’s very easy to communicate with,” Kaufman said. “I wish Michael the best. I think he’s done a phenomenal job and his background and experiences will take him places. I hope student utilize him and realize what the Board of Trustees is all about.”