Neag moves up four spots in national rankings

Published: Friday, March 29, 2013

Neag

ZARRIN AHMED/The Daily Campus

The Neag School at UConn, pictured above, has jumped fourt spots in U.S. News and World Reports’ ranking

The Neag School of Education Graduate program jumped four spots to No. 28 in U.S. News and World Report’s ranking of graduate education programs.

This jump up the rankings makes UConn the third ranked school in the northeast, behind only Harvard University and Boston College. It also lands Neag at #17 on the list of graduate education programs at public universities.

Neag students are excited about the recognition their school is getting. “I’m excited to be in a program that allows me to be a part of one of the top groups of education students in the country,” said Colleen Barnhart, an undergraduate in Neag’s Integrated Bachelor’s/Master’s program, or IB/M. This program allows undergrads to smoothly transition into the graduate program.

U.S. News ranks individual programs within schools as well, and the findings are bright for UConn. The Special Education program is #12 in the nation, the Elementary Teacher Education is ranked No. 18, and the Secondary Teacher Education is also ranked #18. U.S. News and World Report’s findings examined “approximately 1,500 teacher preparation programs,” said a press release on Neag’s website. UConn’s placement at No. 28 puts Neag in the top 10 percent of all graduate education programs in the country.

Shawn Kornegay, the director of marketing & Communications for Neag, says the reason for Neag’s improved ranking is new faculty hires. “The Neag School is hiring additional faculty to research the causes and consequences of the
achievement gap and find policy and practice solutions designed to close
it,” said Kornegay. “This information was shared with peer education leaders, which contributed, in part, to our rise in the rankings.”

Thomas DeFranco, the dean of Neag, believes that Neag owes it success partially to the work it does with the public schools in Connecticut. “Faculty within the Neag School are not only focused on research and scholarship, they are committed to working in partnership with classroom teachers and educational stakeholders across the state, sharing information about best practices and improving the academic performance of children,” said DeFranco.

“The drive to improve and make Neag as good as it can possibly be is something you can notice very easily in the faculty and staff,” said Barnhart. “We want to be the best, and the school is working hard at that goal.”

“Our goal is to produce highly qualified teachers, principals, superintendents and health professionals who will impact the academic performance and health and well-being of children and adults in Connecticut and in the nation,” said DeFranco.