New bus runs from Storrs to UCHC

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Thursday, December 1, 2011

UCHC

FILE PHOTO/The Daily Campus

A free shuttle bus service will travel four times a day from campus to the the UConn Health Center in Farmington, pictured here.

The UConn Department of Transportation kicked off its new shuttle bus service that connects the Storrs campus and the UConn Health Center in Farmington this past Monday.

The bus service is being funded through the Office of the Provost but will not cost anything to students directly. Students and faculty must only present their UConn ID cards to enter the bus.

"The service was primarily developed to get researchers and students who have classes at the Storrs campus and need to commute between the Health Center and the campus," said Janet Freniere, the manager of the UConn Department of Transportation. "Researchers and students get to do research at the Health Center and the shuttles will provide transportation to and from the center."

The service runs four times each weekday from 7:50 a.m. to 5:05 p.m. The last run of the day leaves UConn at 4:05 p.m. and arrives in Farmington at 5:05 p.m. The shuttle will stop outside Jorgensen Center to pick up those who wish to ride the bus and drop them off at the Health Center's academic entrance.

Researchers at the Health Center conduct basic science, clinical, epidemiological and biobehavioral research on a budget of more than $90 million a year. Researchers then translate discoveries into advances in patient care and license new technologies.

Freniere said the service will benefit students outside the scope of research as well.

"Commuters will be using the bus service also, so it really serves a dual role," Freniere said.