New layout for activities fair facilitates student involvement

Published: Thursday, January 30, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 30, 2014 00:01

UConn Involvement Fair

Natalia Pylypyszyn/The Daily Campus

Students explore UConn’s Spring Involvement Fair 2014 in the Student Union on Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Three thousand students flooded the Student Union Wednesday for UConn’s Spring Involvement Fair. The fair, which took place from 2 to 7 p.m., featured 298 student clubs and organizations.

Coordinator of Student Programs Kristen Carr, said that the fair was a success, as it stayed busy throughout its five hour duration.

“The fair started pretty busy and stayed busy almost the entire five hours seeing a few thousand attendees,” Carr said.

A diverse selection of student organizations, including club sports, greek life, community outreach, campus media organizations, academic clubs and student government, filled almost every square inch of the Student Union. Since organizations were not sorted by category a recent update (student attendees) were exposed to a variety of clubs as they perused.

Organization representatives, eager to recruit new members, said that the fair’s random assortment of clubs served to their advantage.

“It allows us to stand out and be unique,” said Ariel Dowski, a member of the UConn chapter of Love 146, a national organization aimed at child sex trafficking prevention. In a room full of other human rights and service organizations, she said, Love 146 may appear ordinary and less intriguing.

Ann Taylor, treasurer of the American Sign Language Club, said that the fair’s organization enabled students to explore a variety of different clubs.

“It’s helpful if you don’t know what you want to become involved in,” Taylor said.

Attendees participated in a scavenger hunt that led them to explore resources housed in the Student Union, such as UConn’s cultural centers, that students often overlook. Students who successfully completed the scavenger hunt were entered in a drawing to win a 32-inch high definition T.V.; the winner of the T.V. has yet to be announced.

As the 2014 Spring Involvement Fair came to a close, Carr appreciated the efforts of the staff, students and volunteers who made the fair a success.

“We want to thank the Student Activities Staff and Volunteers, and Event Services for their help in making this such a great tradition,” she said.