No guests, activities on campus due to Spring Weekend ban

Published: Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spring Weekend

John Levasseur

Students gather and socialize in Carriage House Apartments parking area Spring Weekend, April 22, 2010.

The April 19-22 Spring Weekend moratorium is being enforced further this year with e-mails sent to all students listing the strict regulations for the upcoming weekend.

The e-mail gave detailed instructions on the restrictive guest policy and encouraged students to go home if possible, but all facilities will run as normal weekend hours. The university is attempting to devolve the tradition of Spring Weekend after years of destructive and damaging results from it.

The moratorium was originally started in 2011 after Spring Weekend 2010 when festivities got out of hand and led to the death of UConn student, Jafar Karzoun. While attending an off-campus party, Karzoun was assaulted and died days later due to injuries according to a Hartford Courant article. His assailant, a non-UConn student, was convicted of his death and sentenced to four in half years.

Karzoun’s death has helped lead the way to suppress the dangerous practices of Spring Weekend with support from many faculty and staff. President Susan Herbst wrote an article for The Hartford Courant that expresses the need to end Spring Weekend and continues about misconceptions of Spring Weekend. She clarifies it wasn’t only UConn students creating the problems but estimates that a large portion of the crowd are non-UConn students. She also states that between 80-90 percent of the arrests are not UConn students and the same estimates are given to those who sought medical needs that weekend.

“My freshmen year it was the first time they cancelled Spring Weekend and I understand where they are coming from,” said Yuanwen Liang 4th-semester psychology and biology double major. “However I do think it’s ridiculous that they are cracking down on us. As I was told it wasn’t UConn students that caused the problem. We are taking the heat for something that isn’t our fault.”

According to Herbst’s article, Spring Weekend has grown through the decades since the 1960’s where between 10,000 and 15,000 people would flood onto the campus during the weekend. She also believes that Spring Weekend was a stain on UConn’s reputation. In the past years, Spring Weekend has led to various crimes such as theft, destruction, assaults, drunken behavior, property damages and other misdemeanors.

“I don’t like having to pay about $25,000 in tuition a year to be treated like a child by the school police and the school itself,” said Tom Callaghan, a 4th-semester political science major.

With stringent rules in place, students, faculty, staff and even parents will have to face some inconveniences traveling around campus such as road blocks or limited access to certain roads. Also, students will have to comply with the stricter rules that RA’s will be enforcing such as the no outside UConn guest policy. If a student does have a guest that is a UConn student, then they need to have a guest pass at all times on them and make sure they are signed in. Also, according to the e-mail, the university and police will be working closely with Carriage and Celeron complexes during the weekend.

“It’s not worth punishing the whole campus for something that was caused by a group of none UConn students,” said Stephen Chang, a 5th-semester accounting major. “During the weekend they shouldn’t let non-UConn students on campus but shouldn’t shut down the whole campus.”