One ton ice cream sundae returns today

32 oz. of ice cream cost $1 for students with I.D.

Published: Thursday, February 6, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 6, 2014 22:02

UConn One Tone Sundae

FILE PHOTO/ The Daily Campus

Students enjoy 2011’s one ton sundae in this file photo. This years sundae will take place on Feb. 7th.

Since 1979, students have anticipated the arrival of One Ton Sundae to kick off the Winter Weekend on the Student Union Terrace. Celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, One Ton Sundae features an assortment of ice cream flavors that students will be able to choose from when filling their 32 oz. bucket with as much ice cream and toppings as they can fit in it. The entire ice cream display is self serve, so students will be able to make their perfect combination of ice cream and toppings. Over 200 gallons of ice cream is served each year.

Although approximately 600 students are anticipated to be served this year, and the seniors will definitely get their VIS (Very Important Senior) perks. At the event, seniors who present their senior buttons will have their own line and will be able to get a ton of ice cream without the long wait. The Senior Scoop will also make its debut at One Ton Sundae. This year’s Senior Scoop, a flavor that is designed and named by the senior class, will be coffee ice cream with Oreo and fudge swirl, which will be provided by the Dairy Bar.

Contrary to popular belief, the rest of the ice cream that will be served at the “One Ton Sundae” event will not be from the Dairy Bar.

“As much as we would love to get all of the ice cream from the UConn Dairy Bar, the number of gallons we need to serve over 600 students is more than the Dairy Bar can produce. Therefore, all of the ice cream is Giffords, the same brand served in the dining halls” said Elise Yonika, Major Weekends Coordinator at the Student Union Board of Governers. The money that is collected from this event will be used to offset the cost of the event so that SUBOG can continue to create quality programs throughout the year for the student body.

One Ton Sunday will take place on Feb. 7th from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. The buckets cost $1 for students who have their student IDs with them, and $2 for non-students.