Quiet after the storm: Storrs sees little damage

News Editor

Published: Thursday, November 1, 2012

Despite the destruction Hurricane Sandy caused in Connecticut and throughout the Northeast, the UConn Storrs Campus saw few damages from Monday’s high winds and torrential rain.

“We got off pretty easy compared to the shoreline and the rest of the state,” Deputy Chief James Brown of the UConn Fire Department said. “It seems students stayed off the streets … it was almost a non-event.”

A window was blown out in Shippee Residence Hall and a leaning telephone pole on South Eagleville Road caused officials to close part of the road. There is no other major hurricane-related damage on campus, Brown said.

The fire department cut back to normal staffing Tuesday night and they have only received “routine calls” since the storm passed Monday night, Brown said.

From Sunday night to Wednesday afternoon, Brown said the fire department was called for 57 incidents, but most of them were not related to the hurricane. The majority of the incidents involved accidental alarms and smoke detectors sounding without any real emergency.

A UConn ambulance was requested to assist with the fallen tree accident Monday in which 90-year-old Mansfield resident Olga Raymond was killed, but their services weren’t needed due to excess response.

All of the UConn Storrs and Depot Campus areas have had power restored by CL&P.