School officials appoint new interim director of Dodd Center

Published: Monday, April 16, 2012

Lisa Laplante, a law professor and human rights scholar and researcher, was named interim director of UConn’s Dodd Research Center. 

She will begin her position in August and will serve as interim director for one year and then will have the opportunity to apply for the permanent position.

“It is an honor to be asked to serve as the Dodd Center’s interim director and I am delighted to be able to contribute to the Center’s important human rights work. I have always been impressed by UConn’s commitment to human rights and so it is a privledge to join this exception community,” Laplante said in a UConn Today story.

As interim director, Laplante said she has a lot of plans for the Dodd Center, starting with meeting with others at UConn involved with human rights work and how the Dodd Center can support this human rights work.  She also plans on meeting with the Dodd Center advisory board this June to brainstorm ideas for the next steps for the Dodd Center.

Laplante also has her own ideas she would like to implement to help “forward the mission of the Dodd Center,” she said.

“I would like to find ways to support teaching human rights in Connecticut public schools, perhaps working with UConn students and professors who are engaged with public schools,” Laplante said. “I also see that it might be possible to work with public school teachers to support curriculum development in human rights.” 

She said she would like to connect Senator Dodd’s strong commitment to children and his promotion of human rights to her project.

“I am also interested in exploring ways of supporting trial monitoring of important human rights trials around the world, which would build off of my own work directing a blog monitoring project of the trial of Alberto Fujimori, former president of Peru,” Laplante said. 

Laplante first joined the UConn Law School in 2011 as a visiting assistant professor and as the Richard D. Tulisano Human Rights Fellow. Her interests include transitional justice, post-conflict recovery and other issues related to trials for human rights abuses, according to a UConn Today story.