Sexual assault reported to police

Published: Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 01:01

The University of Connecticut Police Department received a report of a sexual assault that allegedly took place in October and conducted officer training during the university’s winter break.

A female student reported that she was sexually assaulted in a UConn parking lot in October of last year, according to police officials.

The alleged assault took place on Oct. 23, 2013, “during the afternoon hours” as the student was walking through S Lot, according to a crime alert email sent to students in December.

S Lot is the parking lot adjacent to the South Campus residence halls and the Fine Arts complex.

The email said the student was grabbed from behind, pushed to the ground and sexually assaulted. The student did not report the assault to UConn police until Dec. 28, according to the email.

This is fourth reported sexual assault or attempted sexual assault to take place on or near the Storrs campus in a span of less than one month.

The first two reported incidents took place on Oct. 11, 2013, where two females reported being involved in an incident with two males behind a house in the Hunting Lodge Road area. One female was allegedly sexually assaulted and while another sexual assault was attempted – both in the woods behind the house.

The third reported incident took place on Nov. 1, 2013, when an intoxicated male allegedly pulled a female student into a dark room in an off-campus house during a party. The student had to use self-defense measures to escape being sexually assaulted.

UConn police also used the break as an opportunity to conduct officer training on campus, according to police officials.

About two dozen UConn students camped out on Friday night for ESPN’s College Gameday featuring UConn and Louisville’s men’s basketball teams at Gampel Pavilion on Saturday. During the evening, UConn police officers patrolled the building, conducted sobriety tests and kept the students from becoming too rowdy as they waited for the game.

While these activities are not out of the ordinary for a campus police department, officers involved said the environment created by the students camping out was being used for officer training.