Spring Weekend plan in place

Senior Staff Writer

Published: Friday, January 31, 2014

Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 00:01

Oozeball UConn Spring Weekend

Sabrina Herrera/The Daily Campus

Students get dirty playing Oozeball during last years Spring Weekend. The event was moved to Spring Weekend last year as part of open effort to redefine the weekend known for hard partying. Final plans are coming together for this year’s Spring Weekend.

After months of planning, the Spring Weekend committee has a plan for the most anticipated weekend of the semester.

In December, student organizations were urged to program events through the committee and submit their own ideas for review. The committee received 25 events from student groups, according to Amanda Spinelli, the student who handled the selection process.

“The organizations were clever and creative in their suggestions, thus you can certainly expect to see many of the ideas come to fruition during Spring Weekend,” Spinelli said.

This process has now been closed and faculty advisor to the committee, Rebecca Herman, says that the weekend is full of events.

“We have a preliminary schedule for the weekend that involves a huge variety of events, from music to service to food to lectures to competitions – it is going to be a very busy, vibrant, fun weekend,” Herman said.

While the committee has plans to implement careful marketing and release of event information over the course of the semester, committee members are looking into the possibility of a concert and an event similar to Late Night but with bigger attractions.

“The issue we’re facing is trying to find an act that the UConn crowd would enjoy on our budget,” Santiago Pelaez, a student committee member said.

Despite the fact that a lineup of events has not yet been released, Herman is optimistic about student reception to the weekend’s events.

“Suffice it to say, there will be something for everyone to get excited about,” Herman said.

Spring Weekend traditionally begins on a Thursday evening and goes until the Sunday before the last week of class. Last year, each day had a different theme, UConn Cares, UConn Learns and UConn Serves, this year the events follow the criteria of the themes but are spread out evenly across the weekend. Instead of concentrating UConn Serves events on one day, service themed events will be distributed evenly throughout the week, giving students more opportunities.

“This year the events are scattered throughout the weekend, which we think is a more accurate demonstration of UConn’s values of learning, service, and care for the community. When the schedule comes out people will be able to look at events by day or by theme,” Herman said.

The committee has no plans as of now to release an event schedule for the weekend, but more information will be forthcoming in the next month as the committee finalizes its plans.

“First we need to establish a timeline for the rest of the semester,” Herman said. “With such a huge range of events and dozens of people with different responsibilities, we need to make sure everyone is on the same page about when things need to be done. This will include a marketing timeline, for which we will decide when to start releasing information about the events to the UConn student body.”