Stories from a haunted campus: The ghosts of Greenlawn Mansion

Published: Monday, October 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, October 28, 2013 23:10

Thousands of students attend UConn, but only a fraction are familiar with the stories of Depot Campus and its buildings, which are believed to be haunted.

In 1917, the Connecticut Training School for Feebleminded merged with the Connecticut Colony for Epileptics in Mansfield, officially becoming the Mansfield Training School and Hospital.

According to a conversation between “Damned Connecticut” and P.R.O.O.F.’s founder Joseph Gallant, reports provided by the State of Connecticut and the Department of Mental Retardation said that the facility was under excessive investigation for the extreme use of physical and chemical restraint and seclusion among patients. Although allegations of abuse and neglect are in the reports, there is nothing present that implied murder. Lawsuits brought about the end of MTS in 1993. Among the buildings the facility consisted of, some were demolished while others became part of UConn’s Depot Campus.

Between 1974 and 1985 Roger McNamara, superintendent of the MTS, lived in what is known as the Greenlawn Mansion, re-named the “Mansfield Mansion.” McNamara’s son Brett is claimed to have told a reporter at the Reminder News, “I remember growing up here. I felt a presence. I would close a door and find it open again, hear strange creaks and knocks. I had odd feelings, particularly when I was home alone. This was the original institution. Patients lived here, some died.”

In 1994, the Moore family purchased the mansion. Around 2004, the family began renovations on the interior of the home. Within two months each member of the family is reported to have experienced unusual occurrences. Amy Moore and her children suffered from terrible and violent nightmares, and as work on the home increased, so did the nightmares.

Upon researching old newspapers, Moore found articles that described the abuse that patients had experienced in her home. She stopped the renovations on her house and the activity died down, until four years later.

In 2008, an electrician came to the house to fix the Moore’s broken furnace. Less than 10 minutes after he entered the basement, he ran out of the house reportedly saying that he had been pushed to the floor by something he could not see.

Moore was introduced to Gallant, and both are reported to have said that the true story of the haunting was dramatized by Raw TV’s television network to gain ratings. Gallant claims that evidence from his investigation was cut from the episode aired on SyFy due to the vulgar nature.

Gallant stated that during investigations of the Greenlawn mansion, his group did not believe that the residence was to be categorized as diabolical. Classic cases of demonic haunting include characteristics such as occupants of the residence experiencing mysterious illnesses that seem to defy diagnosis and treatment, nocturnal attacks, nightmares, strong odors resembling sulfur, an overwhelming sense of fear and high, ambient electromagnetic field readings present with no mechanical explanations.

Since 2009 members of P.R.O.O.F. have visited the Mansion numerous times and experienced events such as apparitions walking between rooms, slamming doors, humming and feelings of not being alone.

The team believes that something supernatural is residing in the house and despite the dramatized version of the story that SyFy produced, Moore simply wanted to know what was in her house and to share her story.