Storrs Center store celebrates a Sweet one year anniversary

Published: Thursday, October 24, 2013

Updated: Thursday, October 24, 2013 14:10

Sweet Emotions

Jess Condon/The Daily Campus

Sweet Emotions, shown above, celebrated its one year anniversary this week.

Sweet Emotions Candy, a business in the Storrs Center development, is celebrating its one year – technically thirteen month – anniversary since opening in the fall of 2012.

Sweet Emotions Candy doesn’t just sell the basics. With more than 400 variations with which to indulge any person’s sweet tooth, the store provides a wide variety of different choices and options.

For example, while most customers tend to walk around inside and take a look for themselves, Sweet Emotions Candy gives people the choice to simply drive up to the curb outside of the store and have their candy be given to them without having to get out of their car.

Another option, which is commonly used for orders of Chinese food or pizza, is delivery. Through Sweet Emotions’ website, customers can order many things, including candy bouquets and the candy of the month.

Barry Schreier, owner of Sweet Emotions Candy, said the store “[has] the largest candy counter in Connecticut...and on [the] back wall, we have 120 different candies.”

Of the numerous selections available at Sweet Emotions, some are vegan, gluten-free, kosher, international, fair-trade and organic.

Amongst the walls of candy, the shop also has two dozen flavors of jelly beans and “fine chocolates from seven different chocolatiers,” Schreier said. The store also sells chocolate shot glasses and chocolate body paints.

Besides selling candy, Schreier said, “we [also] sell personality...we always greet folks, we always have a trivia question, we give away free candy on our Facebook every single night.”

The store additionally tries to sell local items. Their fudge comes from a company in Hamden, the soda sold in their store is from New Britain and the toffee is from Old Saybrook. Schreier also said he “[does] a lot of work with a chocolatier in...Rhode Island.”

“We also just value ourselves as being part of the community. So we give a lot to charities,” Schreier said. “We donate a lot of things to UConn organizations, and that’s important to us as well.”

There was a rumor at the beginning of the year that talked about businesses struggling in Storrs Center, Schreier said, but “here we are thirteen months later and we’re doing – so far – awesome.”

Of the current businesses open in Storrs Center, Sweet Emotions Candy is the one of 13 that were not part of the former building before construction began.

In terms of celebrating the 13 month anniversary, as opposed to the store’s one year anniversary, Schreier said “the actual anniversary of the shop corresponded with the festival on the Green and the Grand Opening of Storrs Center, so we decided to do ours on a different weekend.”

The store is located on Dog Lane one block up from Storrs Road on the south side of campus, near UConn’s Music Library and Drama Arts building, as well as Buckley Dining Hall.